Dora Ann Grigson (Currie)

(circa 1882 - circa 18 November 1955)
     Dora Ann Grigson (Currie) was born circa 1882 in York, Western Australia.
     Dora Ann Grigson (Currie) married George Thomas Killigrew Dunbar as his second wife, on 28 September 1937 in St Joseph's RC church, Watchem, Victoria.
     Dora and George were registered as GTK & Doreen Agnes Elizabeth Dunbar at Campbell St, Birchip, Victoria, on the between 1938 and 1941 electoral roll.
     Dora and George were registered as George Thomas Killigrew & Dora Ann Elizabeth Dunbar at Campbell St, Birchip, on the between 1943 and 1949 electoral roll.
     Dora and George were registered as GTK & Dora Ann Dunbar, carpenter at Duncan St, Birchip, on the 1955 electoral roll. In 1956 neither were listed. Dora Ann Grigson (Currie) was buried circa 18 November 1955 in the cemetery, Birchip.
     Dora died circa 18 November 1955 in Birchip, Victoria.

Sidney Handy

(1862 - 28 December 1865)
     Sidney Handy was born in 1862. He was the son of Matthew Fleming Handy and Isabella Sarah Gamble.
     Sidney died on 28 December 1865 in Barraghcore, Grangesilvia, Kilkenny. He was buried in Grangesilvia. There is a memorial stone to him and his brothers who died in infancy. In memory of William son of John Handy of Barraghcore House, born 1814, and of John, Harry Fleming & Sydney, infant sons of Fleming & Isabella Handy, grandsons of John Handy.

John Joseph Desmond Dunbar

(10 December 1919 - 23 July 1994)
John Joseph Desmond Anthony Killigrew Dunbar (1919-1994)
     John Joseph Desmond Dunbar was born on 10 December 1919 in Box Hill, Victoria. He was brought up by his aunts after his mother's death in December 1932 when he was aged 13. He was the son of George Thomas Killigrew Dunbar and Margaret Mary Cullen.
     John served in the Army (VX11324) between 1940 and 1946. He enlisted at South Melbourne on 14 Feb 1940, giving his locality as Birchip and naming his father as next of kin. He served during World War II in the 2/6 Div, 2/6 battalion (17th Brigade) as a private soldier. He sailed for Palestine 13 April 1940 and served in the Middle East & Egypt then to Greece. He was taken prisoner there by German paratroopers. Imprisoned in Corinth, Salonica then to Stalag 18a at Wolfsburg (Karnton) Austria and assigned to work camps (32 in total). He escaped and was recaptured 3 times. Imprisoned at stalag 317 Markt Pongau (St Johann) until the Americans arrived in May 1945. Details to be added later. He was among the last European POWs to arrive back in England. On the 14th June 1945 VX11324 Pte J Dunbar, Australian Forces, was directed "to proceed from Westminster Hospital SW1 to 2nd 6th Btn, AIF Gloucester Club, 22 Sloane Gardens SW1 on Friday 15th June by 1300 hours". He arrived home via the "Mauritania" in early August, a week before the war ended in the Pacific. He was sent to Repatriation hospital, Heidelberg, then to Rockingham to convalesce and was discharged from the Army in Jan 1946.
UK Prisoner of War records list ihim in WO392/2 & WO 392/12 (Germany) series. John was a carpenter in 1946. On his return from the War he took a rehabilitation course as a coach builder. He did an apprenticeship in coach-building, working for Kellow-Falkiner, and studying at RMIT. He later worked as a cabinet maker/carpenter for builders.
     John Joseph Desmond Dunbar lived at 5 Salisbury Street, Coburg East, between 1950 and 1958. He met Mum while living in Hawthorn in 1949.
     Mary Phyllis MacKenzie married secondly John Joseph Desmond Dunbar on 24 September 1952 in the Registry Office, Melbourne, Victoria. They were of 5 Salisbury Street, Coburg.
     John Joseph Desmond Dunbar lived at 14 Kirbister Street, Pascoe Vale, between 1958 and 1994.
     John Joseph Desmond Dunbar lived at 22 St Andrew's Road, Shepparton, between 1969 and 1970. He was working in the district as a builder for Leighton Homes.
     John died of cancer on 23 July 1994 in his home, 14 Kirbister Street, Pascoe Vale, Victoria, aged 74. He was cremated on 26 July 1994 in Fawkner Crematorium. His ashes were later scattered in the country near Pyalong.
     His will was proved on 12 December 1995 at Victoria.