Richard Stott

(1 December 1830 - 6 July 1881)
     Richard Stott was born on 1 December 1830 in Leeds, Yorkshire. He was the son of James Stott, Esq, solicitor of Rochdale, Lancashire. Richard was a solicitor, London. He was described as solicitor of London & Chelmsford.
     Richard Stott was mentioned in the will of Emily Baker.
     Richard Stott married Thomasine Florence Dunbar, daughter of Henry Hussey Vivian Dunbar and Anna Caddell, on 9 June 1874 in Camberwell, Camberwell RD, Surrey. Florrie was his second wife. His first wife was Elizabeth Tomlinson? of Maldon, Essex who died in 1872. They had issue: Elizabeth born March 1861, Charles James born 22 June 1863, William Henry born 6 Dec 1864, George Francis born 23 April 1866, Richard Ernest born 8 December 1868, James Walter born 14 Nov .. and died 8 March 1884.
     Richard Stott and Thomasine Florence Dunbar appeared on the 1881 census in Aldham Cottage, Springfield, Essex. Richard Stott, solicitor, aged 50, born Leeds, Yorkshire, Florence, wife, aged 28, born Dublin, Charles James, aged 17, born Chelmsford, George F, aged 14, born Peckham, Surrey, Richard E, aged 13 born Peckham, James W, aged 10 born Chelmsford, Florence M V, aged 4, Edward H H, aged 3 and John St A K, aged 9 months all born at Springfield, Essex.
     Richard died on 6 July 1881 aged 50.

Children of Richard Stott and Thomasine Florence Dunbar

Richard Ryther Steer Bowker

(30 August 1815 - 3 April 1903)
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was born on 30 August 1815 in Campsall, Yorkshire, England. He was the son of Thomas Dawson Bowker and Elizabeth Steer. Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was christened on 3 September 1815 in Campsall.
     Richard was educated from from 25 Oct 1826 at Appleby Grammar School, Appleby Magna, Leicestershire. Richard Ryther Steer, aged 11, Robert Stanser aged 9, almost 10, and Chas Stanser Bowker commenced at Appleby School, as day scholars.
     Richard was educated from 1828 at the "Theatre of Anatomy", Gt Windmill Street, London.
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was apprenticed between 1831 and 1838 in Nottingham. In 1831 he was apprenticed to the Nottingham General Dispensary at the age of 16. In Nov 1836 he obtained a reference regarding his attendance at Surgical practice and clinical lectures at Nottingham Hospital and surgery lectures at the house of the referee in Nottingham.
At the Apothecaries Hall on 31 May 1838, Mr Richard Ryther Steer Bowker, of full age, son of Elizabeth Bowker of Appleby, Leics, widow, apprenticed to Mr John Mayor/n? of same place, apothecary for 5 years (1831), and by indenture dated 2 Oct 1832 to William Jackson of Blandford, Portman Square ... of Nottingham. Testimonial of moral character Mr Mayor(n?)... Mr Mason; Age, bap Sep 3 1815; Lectures commenced Nov 1835: 2 courses on Chemistry (Thomson), 2 Materia Medica (Cooper), 1 Botany (Rattray), 2 Anatomy & Physiology (Jeffray), 2 Anatomical demonstrations (Marshall), 2 Principles and practices of medicine (Basham), 2 Midwifery (Cumin), Clinical lectures (Perry Cowan B...) & Forensic medicine (Pagan) and 12 months attendance at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. He became a Licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries.
     Richard matriculated medicine at Glasgow University, Scotland, on 3 November 1835. After serving his time at the Nottingham Dispensary, he attended lectures in Materia Medica, Pharmacy, Dietetics and Chemistry from Nov 3 1835 to April 26 1836 at Glasgow University (copies of references held) and on 26 April 1837 he obtained a Diploma of Midwifery? / Obstetrics at Glasgow University.
     Richard matriculated at the Faculty of Medicine, Paris, in July 1836. He attended the Paris Hospital and the Faculty of Medicine of Paris and obtained the diplomas in botany and materia medica. Richard practised medicine in Bingham, Nottinghamshire, about 1837-38. He practised for some months at Bingham in Nottinghamshire at the age of 22, and relieved as surgeon to the Union Hospital & Dispensary (see reference dated 14 Aug 1840). According to a biography in the Newcastle Morning Herald 18 Nov 1877 he spent another year in medical practice in Bingham.
     The London standard on 1 Jun 1838 reported Richard Ryther Steer Bowker, Appleby was yesterday granted a certificate of qualification at Apothecaries Hall.
     Richard matriculated Medicine at St Andrew's University, St Andrews, Scotland, in May 1839. He became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in May 1838. From July to August 1838 he obtained many references from his superiors at Glasgow and Nottingham. In 1839 he attended St Andrew's University in Fife for 3 days to sit the exam on 7 May 1839 for M.D. degree. His home address at that time was Appleby, Leics.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "The Shepherd", arriving at Fremantle, Western Australia, on 4 August 1839. His health failing from overwork, a sea voyage was thought necessary. On May 28th he sailed for Western Australia as the surgeon on the immigrant ship The Shepherd, arriving at the Swan River colony on August 4 and returned on the same ship after spending a month or two there. He signed a death certificate in Fremantle on Oct 24.
     His reference reads: Dr Bowker has lately filled the situation and performed the duties, connected with the office of Resident Surgeon to the Nottingham Dispensary during my temporary absence on account of ill health. I have great pleasure in bearing testimony to the great skill and care bestowed by him, on the numerous cases left to his charge, during that period. Dr Bowker has had advantages possessed by few in his education, and I can with confidence assert, that he is ably qualified to take full charge of any cases which can occur in any branch of his profession. Nottingham General Dispensary, August 14 1840, Henry Taylor MD, Resident Surgeon. His diary of the voyage to Melbourne begins after leaving Ireland on Sunday, September 27th 1840: We set sail yesterday, having been tugged out a considerable distance by a steam boat. Today, a strong S.W. wind has been blowing and we have been trying to beat into some part of the Isle of Man of which we have been in sight of all day. We have not been able to fetch up the Captain, naturally mild and diffident but speaking roughly to some (no man who does not speak roughly has sufficient authority at sea) has been coming over how great a fool he was yesterday for being driven out to sea without sufficient preparation, by those who have chartered the vessel and who, of course, were in a great hurry to get the vessel off as they were at the expense of providing for the emigrants daily. The mate engaged from the first was dismissed, the steward disappeared about the same time, the latter worthy gent was found to have robbed the ship of many of her stores and the other is supposed to have been in league with him. The former 2nd mate has been promoted to mate, he is an intelligent, strong Irishman and I think that we have been lucky in the change - the 2nd is a native of Memel but of English parents, he seems a willing, well educated man. Our present steward has held the same office in a steamer but appears to know nothing of the requisitions of a long sea voyage. To my great dismay, he says he does not know how to make bread or whether there is any yeast on board. I must endeavour to teach him or to get him taught, if there is yeast on board, for those thorns of life, sea biscuits, are abomination to me, if there is no yeast we must do without soft bread. There are upwards of 190 emigrants on board, besides passengers, all sick, a pretty mess there is of it below, all cursing the chances which led them to sea. No doubt we have not been a ....      
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker emigrated from Liverpool on 4 October 1840 to Melbourne, Victoria, per "Georgiana". The Georgiana was a 406 ton barque under Capt. Stephenson which departed Liverpool 4 Oct 1841 carrying immigrants. He was the Surgeon Superintendent. He was paid £97/2/6 or about 10/6 for each migrant landed safely. He kept a diary on board.
     In February 1841, the Port Phillip Patriot advertised: R R S Bowker, MD, member of the Royal College of Surgeons, London and Licenciate of Apothecaries Hall of the same place, begs to announce to the inhabitants of Melbourne and vicinity, that he has commenced the practice of his profession in all its branches, at his residence lower end of Little Bourke-street.
     Another advertisement after a testimonial by the Rev Wigmore and the Georgiana passengers states: I hereby certify that James Murphy, late chief mate of the Georgiana (emigrant barque) behaved with kindness and attention to the emigrants so long as held the above office. R R S Bowker, MD, Surgeon Superintendent, Melbourne, Feb 25, 1840 [sic], He apparently was "disrated" half way through the voyage and was paid a reduced gratuity for only 2 months & 27 days service. Richard was the surgeon on the emigrant ship arriving per Georgiana on 25 February 1841 in Port Phillip, Victoria, Australia.
     The Port Phillip gazette 19 June 1841 p. 3 advertised that Dr Bowker will lecture on vision at the Mechanics Institute.
Not liking Melbourne's climate, lack of opportunities in a depressed economy, and fearing being compromised by the attentions of his host's daughter Miss Drew, he left for Sydney.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "Frankfield", arriving at Sydney, New South Wales, on 3 July 1841. The Frankfield had departed from Liverpool 7 February 1841, and Port Phillip 29 June 1841 with Dr Bowker on board..
     The GPO Sydney advertised on 20 July 1841 on the List of letters detained in consequence of the sea postage required thereon not having been paid... Bowker, Mrs. Bullwell, Notts, Engalnd.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was employed on the whaler "Caroline" which was a 450 ton teak built, copper fastened barque, which arrived in Melbourne 30 June 1841 under Captain John Williams. She made some voyages between Melbourne & Hobart in the second half of 1841 [Biddle 1841 p.4]
His diary records: Barque Caroline, August 10th, 1841.
Purcell and I spoke of our difficulties to each other, and in an unlucky moment one of us happened to say: Let us go in a whaler. Purcell thought it would be a difficult matter to obtain even this berth and so was desirous of doing it at once in proportion to the difficulty he considered he should have in getting shipped. We were a couple of enthusiastic fools and did not consider preparing what we were about to undertake. He did not know how to set about it; I knew too well. We went to a man whom I had employed to carry me ashore in his boat and who had told me he had been in a whaler. This man smiled when we told him what we were going to do, but said it would be easily done and said he would go to the ships in the afternoon and get 3 berths. Purcell asked anxiously 2 or 3 times if it could certainly be done. As Marryat said, this was human nature: everything is valuable to fellow mortals which is difficult to be obtained. The man smiled and said he must be paid for his time, for he thought no doubt that he had two fools to deal with and, like, determined to make the most of us. We visited him nearly every day and he as often put us off. I suppose he thought that we could not be made enough to be in earnest. We told him to hurry, and at last one afternoon he told us to rig ourselves in working clothes and he would take us to the Caroline and ship us. We did so and went in his boat. I was to be the spokesman. Accordingly I got over the side and touched my hat to the most respectable man I saw. I asked if the Captain was on board. He answered that he was master of the vessel. I then asked if he wanted any ordinary seamen. He said he would go ashore with us directly and see what ordinary seamen he had. We accompanied him in his boat to Dicks (?), the owners, who were asked if we had been to Captain Brown to get a permission to ship. We had not, and he wrote the paper (?), giving the name as at liberty to ship in the Caroline. He gave one to each and told us that after getting it signed he would ship us next morning. As we went away Purcell said he would be damned if he would go near them any more. I did not know if he was in earnest or no, and hating the uncertainty accused him of being afraid. At last he said he was only joking and would go in the morning. We then went to the Frankfield and asked the Captain to give us certificates that we had been passengers in his ship. Captain Mitchell gave us the certificates and in the morning we signed articles to serve in the Caroline sperm whaler, 193 tons, Captain Hunter, till the completion of the voyage or till she should be full. We received an advance note for £5 each, and our friend (I should rather say enemy) the boatman took us to another man, Lihr, a Swede who was a boatman and kept also a kind of slop shop. Then came the question: who would cash the notes? (These notes are payable 3 days after the person who is shipped has sailed in the ship, and as a person must get the money and not again go near the shop there is a certain risk in giving a sailor the money. Jews generally do this business and draw from thence a profit, charging their own price for their goods on account of the accommodation and also a premium too, generally about 10/-, sometimes £1, rarely as little as 5/-, for cashing a £5 note.
     Lihr said he would not run the risk and, surveying us up and down, said we did not look much like seagoing folks. We assured him that there was no danger of our not going, but he would not trust us. At last the first boatman agreed to be answerable for £l each and Lihr did take us and the slops on board. I declared I would not give so much, and at last he agreed to diminish his charge by half. We then laid our heads together and ordered a good outfit to be ready next morning when we were to go on board. We then went again to the Frankfield and borrowed 2 chests which had belonged to two runaway sailors of that ship and were therefore confiscated, and next day we equipped ourselves in our sailors' dress and went on board with Lihr, who had been told by the clerk in the agents' office that he was going to accommodate us in the cabin or off (?) deck, and the Captain told us the same, not exactly in the certain language of the clerk but gave us good reason to suppose that this would be the case. The Captain was on board and I asked Purcell if we had not better speak to the Captain about our living on the off (?) deck or cabin. Purcell said it would and begged me to be spokesman, as I could speak he thought better than he could. I went to him and reported to him that we had come on board, hoping that he would then say something about our place. He however said nothing, so I was obliged to say openly that he had mentioned something about our not sleeping in the forecastle. He said then that we might go there till he had time to fix it up. I accordingly, with Lihr's assistance, lowered our chests, beds, &c. into the forecastle. We found it a very spacious one considering the small size of the vessel, between 6 and 7 ft. in it, and surrounded by two layers of bunks most of which had been chosen and had names written upon them. Only 2 upper ones remained, and these were not together so that we must choose of two lower ones which were adjoining one another. I was partly influenced in this choice by the consideration that if the vessel's deck were leaky the upper berths would save the lower ones, and we had great reason to congratulate ourselves on our choice, for soon after we had sailed several were driven from their beds by the water which dripped copiously through the deck while we remained dry.

     Friday August 13th.
     We kept a look out at the mast head all night and this morning saw two islands ahead. We altered our course so as to leave them to the eastward, contrary to our hopes of getting home &c. They are now abeam of this ship The men say (perhaps they have heard) they are the Harpies or Lapies Islands.
     We found nobody on board with us in the forecastle except 2 boys, who were talking at a great rate about what hour (?) they should play &c. Presently a lot of ruffianly fellows came on board drunk, and I began rather to repent my bargain and Purcell turned up his eyes and hands without saying a word. After kicking up a great noise they went ashore, kindly inviting us to go with them to get something to drink. We of course declined. Next morning we were engaged in strong exercise at the ropes and we soon found ourselves both and awkward, our hands blistered. P. wished to run away but after going so far did not enter into it sufficiently strongly. Would to God he had! We were fed pretty well on beef stewed with potatoes and pumpkins. This night we had the company of some more of our hands. Next morning we heaved up our anchor and, under the direction of the pilot, moved the ship further out beyond Pinchgut (so they name the rock in the middle of the harbour on which they are erecting a battery). We then cast anchor again and were to get our hands on board as soon as possible and sail in the morning. P. was more than ever desirous of leaving our berths next morning. Everything was made ready and before the Captain went ashore P. begged me to go
and ask him to let us go away. I was not at all averse to leaving, for I repented of our bargain, although I did not like giving in after buying all our things. Besides, I did not much like asking the Captain, so sure was I that he would not part with us. I knew too that P. would not let slip the only chance remaining of our getting away. I therefore said: indeed, it is only foolishness and would do no good. The Captain at this time was about going over the side and in a minute P. was speaking to him and away again. He had asked the Captain, and he had told him that he would see about it on shore. P. had some hopes but went to get ashore in the boat. I said we had better wait, for I suppose my evil destiny led me to wish to go through the adventure, although I knew very well that the Captain had no notion of parting with us. Presently Dick (?), the owner, came on board to muster us and see us off. P. posted (?) up to him and, seeing the urgency of the occasion, disturbed his taciturnity, for he talked some time with him. He came back and told me that he had begged Dick to let us go and told him that we should be of no use to him, and that Dick had replied that we should have thought of that before; it was too late now and we must go. Poor P. was now in despair. Turning up his eyes and hands to heaven, he exclaimed: "It's all over with us now!" The pilot soon came on board, also the Captain and one or two more hands as drunk as they could make themselves, for the sailor's plan is to enjoy shore as much as he can and to take in as much of the good things thereof as he can hold, and unfortunately he thinks spirits the very best thing in life. After a little trouble, for they wanted to go on shore again till morning, they were pressed below to bed. We got under way, the shore men left us, and we were soon bound and ...

     Sunday August 15.
This morning we saw land from the mast head, where I happened to be stationed at the time We soon heard them hailing "Closer to windward" to leave it to leeward; our hopes of getting yams (?), etc., vanished. Presently however we saw them putting 2 reefs in the topsails (it was blowing very hard? at the time), and to our great joy "Secure the yards" was sung out and we were soon steering directly for it. An old tar George (?) who was with me at the foremast
head actually danced on the cross trees and the 3rd mate and his companion at the main mast head were smiling, grinning their pleasure the novelty of the thing, in the forecastle some playing at cards, some saying "We shall get no whales while this card playing on Sundays is going on," and others again saying "It is no worse than sewing", and others "If it is not right to play at cards on Sunday, why do you play on week days?"
     The island is said to be Onookfero (3rd mate) Keppel's land struck out and (Newefo/Cooper) inserted. I found the latitude to be 15 45". P. wishes he could get on shore; he would never come on board again. We have passed round to the other side of it; it looks a beautifully verdant island, covered with cocoa nut trees which are tall with a bunch only on top. We saw what appeared to be a house, like a good large hovel and a score of yam and tama (?) cultivated by the natives. It looked in the distance like a field of beet, and the island was very woody, the whole covered with cocoa nut trees ascending from the beach. We have as yet seen no sign of the inhabitants. The part of it we have seen seems bounded with rocks.
     A canoe with 3 natives has just been aboard. The canoe is about 18-24 inch broad and about 12 ft long, apparently made out of a sycamore tree, an outrigger over the side, and paddles of a diamond shape The natives were of a copper colour, about 5ft 6 inch in height, well limbed (?) and well formed. Their hair was kept about 1 inch long. Strong and black, their features open, they seemed of a good disposition, had not much beard and that shaved, nearly close shaven their noses aquiline (these men came on board and immediately walked aft and had command over the rest). The noses of the others were slightly turned up, rather broad but not disagreeably so, their lips not thick. We asked for bananas &c. They said "taboo sabbat" meaning that it was Sunday and they did not trade on this day. They refused tobacco. They said there were
white missionaries on the island and that there were no devil going on the island, meaning that they were all religious. I said to Cooper, as the most decent man: "What an example for more civilised men!" "Yes, indeed," said he.

     Monday, August 16.
     Since yesterday we have had a terrible gale and have hardly been able to carry any sail, the poor native wishing himself no doubt at Onooko again. He seems sick, but when spoken to looks up, answers as well as he can, and lays down his head again. Poor fellow! he seems, though a naked savage, to have all the serenity of a Christian. When he came on board a girdle and a mat (?) constituted his clothes. This morning when he came on deck, which he did at daylight, a handkerchief round his head, a coat belonging to the captain, and a cotton gown round his middle. blowing
from above the canoe upward, how far I could not see. I asked him if there were any white men on Onookfero. Pointing to myself and another white man and then to the island, he held up 2 fingers and said, as well as I could understand him, Mr. Seaton and Mr. House or something house. We are trying to beat to windward to get to the island and put him ashore. P. is determined to get on shore and leave the vessel if he possibly can.

     Wednesday, August 18th.
     The gale still continues. Yesterday we made a fair wind of it, intending to put the poor native on another island. Thus he is separated in any case for long from his friends, his home and family. He may perhaps be eaten. I think his sickness is better but he looks moody, gazing in the direction of Onookfo almost continually. Yesterday P. happened to spill some water. George, one of our old hands who takes very much authority on himself, abused him and struck him. P. made a short fight of it, but the ship was so much in motion that neither could hit the other to hurt him. The Captain came up and said that he would have none of that work (?) on board, and told P. if it happened again he would punish him (P.) P. told him that he had been struck first, but he said nothing more. Poor P. said "They are all against us." He was and has been since in very low spirits. In the struggle P., from the motion of the ship, fell down. George was rushing upon him to strike him when Peter, a droll little Irishman, said "If you strike him when he is down I will
strike you." There were many Englishmen by at the time, but Peter was the only one who interfered, though George (?), the ablest man on the ship, said he was waiting to see if he would strike him when down, and that if he had he would have gone at him. I doubt it. Both Peter and George (?) are convicts now free, George (?) from the neighborhood of Birmingham - Walsall, I think.

     Thursday, August 19.
     Yesterday afternoon land was again seen on our weather bow as we were going before the wind. We immediately put 3 reefs in the fore sail and 2 in the main sail and sharp . We beat to windward all night and in the morning saw that on our lee were 2 islands with a passage between them. We have made 2 or 3 tacks this morning to enable us to fetch (effect?) a passage, and hope soon to sail through it and be on the lee side of the island and be sheltered from the violent south-easter. The poor native of Onookfo seems ill at ease. P. has had a bowel complaint from the unwholesome provisions, as indeed have most of us. He got drenched 2 or 3 times in the day. This morning the poor fellow looks most miserable; he is determined to leave her(e) as soon as any opportunity offers, as are many on board during this gale. We have been almost incessantly at the pumps. We now pump her out every hour, so leaky is she.
A clean pigsty would be a paradise in comparison to this abominable forecastle and pigs angels in comparison to our present companions. P. knew (?) some of them. Asking him what he had been on shore, simply said ''A lawyer'' and now goes by that name. He is laughed at and derided (?) by all. I manage somewhat better, but some time ago I talked very scientifically about the pugilistic art, making them believe I was a first-rate boxer, and I think they respect me somewhat for it. They suspect also that I am a surgeon and are perhaps afraid on that account. A very noisy young man Atkins who is easy to suppress, to enforce the he and many others have threatened, took the boy Davy by the hair. Davy turned on him again and another fight took place. The Captain stopped it again and sent them both to the mast head till night as a punishment.

     Saturday, August 21st.
     We put into the passage and soon 2 or 3 canoes came up. We told them we wanted to trade and away they went back again and soon brought quantities of yams, mummy apples, pumpkins, cocoa nuts, tarra tapas, for which the Captain and crew gave tobacco, pipes, handkerchiefs, shirts, calico, powder, knives &c., a of tobacco for a basket of their produce. Their baskets are made of the leaves of the cocoa nuts and look like mats. We were employed next day in taking out the fibre of each of the to make brooms of. Sailors seem to let nothing be wasted. P. was very busy in breaking everything he could lay his fingers on. He gave a shirt for a another a mat very large and which he now sleeps in, besides giving quantities of other things for edibles. Most of these things had been bought with my money, of which I had a better supply than he had when we started though mine was a small one. I am afraid he is selfish; if so I shall soon quarrel with him. Yesterday while he had plenty of yams, so much that he could not eat it all for dinner but put a plate of it by for supper, while I among others ran short.
in August 1841. Richard practised as a doctor in New South Wales, from 22 August 1842. He was a Physician and surgeon - MRCS 7 May 1838; FRCS 10 Aug 1854; MD St Andrews 1839; MRCP Lond. 1882; LSA 1838.
On the 9th July he applied for registration to the NSW Medical Board. He was registered as #223, 22 Aug 1842: Admitted a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of London 7 May 1838 and a licentiate of the Apothecaries Company of London 31 May 1838, and a Doctor of Medicine of the University of St Andrew 7 May 1839. Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians London 1854, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons May 1854, Member of the Royal College of Physicians London 1882.
At Sydney in October 1842 Bowker was asked by Dr McPhee, principal medical officer of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, to accept appointment to the Loyal Union Lodge in Newcastle, with right of private practice. After six months the lodge thanked Dr McPhee for "sending" so efficient and professional a gentleman as Bowker; this resolution had been carried with honours by the Order. Bowker stipulated that midwifery, bottles, castor oil, leeches and over two miles travel must be extra to the sum of 22 shillings a year each family paying for his services. He was admitted a member of the Lodge on 19 Dec 1842, paying 10/6. His vote in the lodge in 1842 helped to pass the rule than an ex-convict must be free by servitude or by emancipation for at least six months before accepted as a member. He resigned in December 1844 but on 2 March 1846 was notified by the Lodge that his return would be welcomed. He went back in December 1847 and was reappointed.
He is often mentioned in the Maitland Mercury in 1844 and early 1845.
     He began advertising that he was available at 10 Bolton St, Newcastle in various Syeny & Newcastle newspapers.
     On 11 June 1843 he obtained a reference from the Immigration Agent re the Georgiana.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to London, on 15 February 1845 per the "New York Packet". They departed from Sydney.
     By July 1845 he was in London, in August he visited Appleby, Bulwell & Nottingham.
     In his diary dated between July 1845 and August 1845 it was recorded: 33 Melton Place, Gutton Square.
Received a letter this morning from my dear mother. She wishes me to get married and settle. Went to Rolfe's, he had the frock under weigh. Afterwards to the University College. A gent of a good face but miserable head was very kind in conducting me over the libraries and the museums. There are three libraries, miscellaneous, law and medicine. I thought them small for so fine a school but I dare say they contain all necessary books, the rooms (library) I thought also too small, for as their books increase they will I fear be found too little to hold them. I contrasted it with the Glasgow library, the preparations (in wax I suppose) of anatomical healthy and morbid were not done I thought in the first style but shewed pretty well of what they were imitations. My guide ranted much against Phrenology, talked of the mind being one and indivisible and so how could it be manifested in all the various faculties. He talked of Brown's book he had been done "Brown" did not understand his subject.
     Afterwards went to the University College Hospital as Quain (Richard) had not yet arrived. I went to the Dispensary and saw Morton prescribe. Thought his practice very routine in irritations of the prima via. They all (at the University College and at the Ophthalmic Hospital, Charing Cross) seem to give Hydrargyrus generally with Hy and purgatives. Left him when Quain came. Saw a stump, it was bandaged on which I was told a flap amputation had been performed. Saw some fractured thighs set with the long splint.
Heard a clinical lecture of William's. He is a clever fellow. He lectured on Epilepsy, spoke of the grand mal with convulsions, the petit mal without convulsions, considers them cases read as non organic and cured one by Pil Alors and Assaf.... Infus Val with and Hydroc and soda. Says epilepsy is owing to an obstruction in the brain, owing to congestion, etc., with a consequently increased circulation in the spinal cord as if when examining the circulation in a frogs foot, you obstruct any one vessel there is immediately an increased circulation in the neighbouring vessels from the impeded circulation in the brain you have its action impeded as loss of consciousness from the increased circulation in the spinal marrow you have exaltation of the excito-motory system as the convulsions in apdeley you have impeded breathing from obstruction of the vessels of those parts of the brain which administer to the respiratory actions as the medulla oblongaten. In epilepsy, he said, these parts were not obstructed but the contrary and that breathing was increased. I hardly go along with him at present. In general these patients were weak and anaemic, therefore generally would not abstract blood either by cupping or bleeding. As there was almost always palpitation of the heart as a precursor he lauded Acid Hydroc-Digitalis and Hydose. Said that the chief remedies were purgatives and above all chalybeates (he gave croton oil in several of the cases) Sulph Cup - Sulph Tini. Spoke highly of
Firri .... I saw in Hospital a case of colica Pictomun which did very well indeed with a pill containing Ol Crot m i E Bellad gr. ½.
Saw a young and sick girl with vomiting she had been taking Prussic Acid. He changed it for Bior.... gr V Creasot m i Pule A ... gr y n pily .... She had had papilli on her tongue which was generally pale arid clean and moist. A boy the day before yesterday was lying almost suffocated with a double Pneumonia. He ordered a bleeding, a cupping and Tartar Emetic with Acid Hydroc, also gr vi Cal gr. ¼ Opter die. This morning his skin was moist and he seemed much improved but he had been at stool every half hour. W. notwithstanding kept on with the At. He however changed the Cal for Hydr cu Cret gr x.
At the hospital today I fell in with Antoine Piccioni D.M. de Pino (Corse), a little black whiskered Corsican, very polite and clever I think in medicine. He examined my chest, was surprised at my being so well "conformed'1 as he expressed it in his imperfect English, wished to examine again as he had not heard the respiration quite so well on the right as on the left. He was not quite sure of this and wished to examine again. He fancied too that he heard the voice more loudly on right. He said examining my muscles, we do not expect a Phithisic with such developments. He thought I was in no more danger than anyone else but said that if I had any new reasons for fear, he would, were he in my place, go again to Australia. I observed that they seemed to give a great deal of irritating medicine here in chronic inflammations of the prima via. He said he was glad to hear me say so as he had made the same observation, tho' he had not mentioned his opinion even when asked, for fear of giving offence. With Piccioni says we shall see ourselves often meaning we shall see each other often. He took me for a German.
July 18th: Walked this morning to Spread Eagle and there found a letter from R. Stanser, fancied it cool, wrote to him and paid ten pounds into Jones & Lloyd1s bank for Mrs. McNair. Met old Kirkly in the street. He seemed in low spirits, said he could get no bills paid. Called to see his child, an infant born on the passage, about 3 months old. It's navel had not quite healed and fungous granulations had sprung up about as large as a small raspberry. Had a narrow neck, did not bleed but there was a slight whitish discharge from it. I snipped it off with a pair of scissors nearly but not quite at the neck, Applied caustic and charpice with a pad over all. Mrs. K. lodged in Arundel Street near the water. The people and place looked fine but slovenly. Her rooms were on the second floor and she paid 30/- a week, she said. Also she said she had sent out for a mutton chop and they had charged her -/11 for it, for only 2 small chops.
She had asked if there was not some mistake and they had been impertinent. The K's were to leave for a cheaper lodging in Islington tomorrow. I then came to the Hospital. Heard Dr. Taylor lecture on cases of Brights disease with disease of the brain. He spoke of phosphatic urine being so often a concomitant of chronic inflammation of the kidney. He spoke also of the condensation of the lung which so often remains after Pneumonia and is often mistaken for Phthisis. He is a small, delicate, round, soft featured man, bald far back and comes his hair as if proud of his high retreating forehead. He seems to have the knowing and moral organs large. I do not think very highly of his intellect. I then went round with Williams. The girl with sickness at the stomach, pale and chlorotic looking, who had a tongue moist, pale but with papilli round the tip and who had taken Pz Creasot sy i Bismuth Nitr ter die was much better. The lad with Pneumonia was better, was much purged, is now taking Hydr. cu Cretqr X tu die instead of the Cal purged 5 times this morning. Williams says it is so severe a case that he dare not stop it. Then went round with Diston, a big stout rough looking Scot. His hand small but very thick and coarse. His head bald, narrow forehead, high retreating knowing organs very large, very high about firmness, face a long oval well filled and fat. Hair grizzly. He had mostly his hands in his pockets and looked very uncouth. He said very little to his patients. To go with him was indeed to walk the Hospital. A stout red faced woman came to him with a fatty tumor about as large as a bantams egg under the lower jaw near its angle. He advised her to have it taken out, telling her that it would otherwise increase to the size of her head. She at once consented. Was brought blind-folded into the operating theatre. He made an incision from top to near bottom of tumor in direction Plat myoides then poked in his finger and loosened it all round. Took hold of it and pulled, dissecting where it would not come away without this, two small arteries were divided. He took no notice of them. When he had got it out, he went to examine it, saying to his dressers there are some arteries want tying you know and his dressers took them up with a pair of forceps and tied them. I then went home with Piccioni again. He was to examine my head, he found he said that it was very properly proportioned that with it medicine ought to be my profession. That the only dificient organs were self esteem and hope then I ought to cultivate he said I had large comparison, benevolence, veneration, ideality. That he himself was deficient in self esteem and for that cause viz to increase it he travelled. He said that at 23 he had the organ of comparison so little developed that it was remarked by all his friends and that now by having cultivated it, he had it large, nearly as large as mine. He advised me to study natural history and history, to read the Gospel for he said it was beautiful. Many times when reading it, said he, I have pleure plere ... Look here and he read, "Blessed are the poor in spirit," etc., I said I feared I had not much religion. Look, said he, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, etc., this you is, this you is, your head says so, it is so, it must be." He talked very ably in metaphysics. I told him he had ideality large. Yes, said he, my writings prove it and he read his description of the Zoological climate in which he made the different beasts represent those who had come to pay honour to the power of Britain and compared something in them with the several country of each. It was very amusing, also he read his impressions when in the Polytectinic institution. He felt as if he were almost within the realms of Satan. Turn his eyes which way he would encore des machines this seemed to say I will prepare you this, etc., etc., turn his ears where he would this way there was the task, there was gro gro gro, etc. Here were motions in one direction, there motions in another, here vertical, there horizontal, etc. At last came the professor his visage pale, thin bloodless and unearthly. His long hair, his voice from the deep caverns of his chest. As he explained the surrounding aides diablotins, the pretty girl spectators, forms sent by the presiding, genius to tempt him. I was afraid but I took resolution I fis bombe my poitrine elever ma mentor renverser ma tete et prit de la resolution. It was all very amusing. He seemed, poor little fellow, delighted by my appearing amused. He said he was a Catholic. At all events he is a first rate little fellow.
July 20th: Walked to London Bridge yesterday from thence went to Greenwich by railroad, walked on thro' Lewisham to Bromley. Found Aunts etc., well, full of affection. This morning walked with Aunt Sarah to a church about 2 miles beyond Bromley. The clergyman read a good plain sermon comparing our journeying thro' life to the Israelites wandering 40 years in the wilderness to purify themselves from the contamination they had received from the Egyptians. Afterwards walked in the churchyard and to one of its corners where was the long grave of my cousin Robert Robinson, poor fellow. I saw in the church a gentleman who in face and head so nearly resembled Dr. Davidson that at first I almost fancied that my firm, my dearly loved friend was again on earth. Dined and took tea with Aunts and then set off for Greenwich where I took the train again for Town. On arriving at my lodgings I found Skinner, chief officer of the New York packet had called and left a letter in which he begged me to meet the medical gent. attending his wife in consultation, a very pathetic affectionate. I shall not disappoint him but shall go in the morning. Have appointed to take Piccioni to the museum of the College of Surgeons on Tuesday. Paid Aunt Sarah ten pounds yesterday.
July 21st: Set off this morning for the city. First to Wood Street and left an order with Pickford & Co. to get my luggage out of the baggage warehouse and send it to Nottingham. Then purchased a carpet bag and lock for 5/-, an umbrella with name engraved for 1-1-4. Then to ship at London Dock found only Mr. Skinner and Jack Brag on board (that is of those who had made the voyage with us) I accompanied Skinner to see his wife who was ill. Met the Captain. He asked me to call on him as his wife was sick. She complained of weakness and altered complexion. She was of middle height, rather short, of well proportioned figure, her complexion a clear brunette except a light yellow circle above her upper lip (like a moustache) a patch well defined, rather hectic looking on each cheek, speaking quick and energetically. Naturally being of melancholic temperament she seemed to labor a little in her breathing but when asked said she had neither cough nor difficulty in breathing. Complained that for 4 months she had been affected with palpitation of the heart and with pain in left side and preecardial region, of an aching character unaccompanied by tenderness on pressure (she said) shooting into her left shoulder and down her arm. See case book.
Could not get my luggage thro1 the custom's today, but had it removed to the baggage warehouse and they have promised to examine it at 8 o'clock tomorrow morning, another long walk for me. I missed today my appointment with Piccioni and the hospital practice. Our passengers sent their letters to the owners and when one of the latter was on board Captain H.... called them on the quarter deck to make their complaints before both. The owner treated them with some contempt having heard that Hawksly had acted fairly towards them. Afterwards Mr. H. told the Captain that it, meaning the ship, etc., was a shabby affair. The Captain plucked up spirit and told him that while at sea he had borne a good deal from his passengers but that now he did not feel called upon to hear with impertinence and that if he repeated what he had just said, he would send him out of the cabin. Mr. Hodgson said "you can't". Captain H. then went up to him, stood over him and said repeat those words "you can't" and I'll kick you out by G-d. Hodgson turned all kinds of colours and soon went away. He said no more. Hill said that the Captain had used him sell and that he should not annoy him. To Wilson the Captain said before the owner as to what was put on board I can shew the bills and as to the quality I can bring forward Captain Brown and Captain Morris from whom I brought a good quantity of what you say was so bad and besides there is the Doc to prove that they were good. "Oh," said Wilson, "the Doctor is your friend arid I dare say you pay him pretty well for what he will say." "Mr. Wilson," said the Captain, '1the Doctor is a gentleman and you have no right to accuse him of taking a bribe." Kirkly, Wilson, Hodgson and Hill each owed the Captain for tobacco, cigars, etc. Hill paid directly, the other three said they would pay when their law suit was settled. The Captain stopped their luggage when K. paid Wilson and Hodgson said they would leave the amount in the hands of the custom house officers to be paid after all was settled. The Captain foolishly agreed to this and W. has left for Manchester. He will never give the order to let Captain H. have it but will keep him out of it. I met old K. in the Docks today and was talking to him when the Captain came up. Old K. bid me goodbye and very ceremoniously took off his hat to the Captain. The latter boasted how civil old K. had become. He did not see that just the contrary of civility was meant. Hawkesly seems in very good favour with the owners.
July 22nd: Went to baggage warehouse this morning and got everything clear all very polite. The searcher made known to me being a Doctor that he also could claim some affinity for he was a cousin. Whether 5th or 6th I forget. I had some American books arid I kept up a very fine fire of flattering conversation with him. He asked me if I had any foreign books. I said yes, this is a French one. By bad luck he picked out an American one. Before he looked I said' and that is an American one. He put it aside arid after a time turned to his list of prohibited books. I kept up the conversation in hopes of confusing him for it was a pirated work undoubtedly. He did not find it and my book was safe. One of my topics of talk with him was Sir W. Hooker's style of lecturing, the books he had published. He ~d by this time finished the examination. "Oh, yes, "'said. 'He has published several. I think I have some of his works in my list here" and he turned to his infernal list again. I thought to myself I have put my head in the fire. However, he did not see my books mentioned. I had a bill of 13/- to pay at the baggage warehouse. All were very civil and evidently expected presents but my box was locked and I resolutely told them that cash was rather a scarce article with those who return from N.S.W. I gave them nothing.
     Went to University College Hospital, round with Quain who no more knew how to reduce a prolapses ani than the way to Heaven. He bungled and failed. Round with Williams. - Home.
Left an order with Pickford to get my luggage from the baggage warehouse and take it by canal to Nottingham. Had a post-mortem with Williams who seemed astonished, surprised, dancing and jumping at what is by no means uric ommori.
Wednesday, July 23rd: Eat a great dinner of meat yesterday. Find at the cook shops they give as much again of cold meat as of hot meat. I slept badly in consequence and, therefore, got up about 4 a.m., shaved, dressed and read. In a short time I most perversely began to feel sleepy again and humoured myself by undressing and turning in again. I was awakened by Mrs. Bathurst coming with my shoes. They are so late in getting up here that it was something surprising to get the shoes before asking for them. I looked at my watch arid found that this time I had overslept myself, that it was 10 o'clock. I had appointed to meet Dr. C B Williams at ½ past 10. I hurried with clothes and got my breakfast as quickly as possible, went to Williams. Found his room hung with portraits of his father (as I judged by the likeness) and several other relatives, among them Father Matthew had his place on his round mahogany. Were books few and chiefly religious. I read in one, it was the only non religious one I think, until the gent then consulting with him, had left. It was against Homeopathy. I then went into an inner room, his study I suppose, for there were a set of medical works, not an extensive library. He examined my chest. Found what he considered some consolidation in right upper lobe he thought the effects of the disease 6 years ago. He said he thought I might try England. At first he said it would be dangerous for me to do so - advised my usual temperate way of living to be continued, to beware of wet generally and of wet feet in particular. To avoid night work as much as possible -to publish my Australian post mortems. I like his manner much and think him a good man. I was to have met Piccioni at 11 at the University College Hospital. He had been waiting in the cold till 1/4 to 12. We were to be at the Ophthalmic Hospital by 12 and I warmed him in the walk. He said, well I do find your lungs better than my lungs. Mr. Daserit we found extremely obliging and we thought very able in diseases of the eye. Mr. Chas. Guthrie operated on one case of Strabismus but we missed it being attending Mr. Daserit's practice. Old Guthrie came in and began to talk to Mr. Dasant about some of the patients saying, what's the use of keeping so and so . we can do no good let her got out and so with 2 or 3 more.'1 Mr. Dasent agreed to whatever he said, combating some things to a very trifling extent. Old G. spoke in a very military dogmatic style arid Daserit never spoke to him without using the word 'Sir'. Old G. is a dark sallow man, has had lightish, dirty brown hair now grey, is stout and soldier like looking, wore black frock coat, etc., short hair and whiskers cut across his face. He had rather prominent knowing organs, his head wide, rather round, not high, a well cut, decided face. We got away about 3. I agreed to meet P. at 10 at University College to go to Guys with him and went to dine. Got again a great big plateful of cold meat. Could not finish it, a good quantity of cabbage and potatoes for -/8, -/1 for the waiter.
July 24th, Thursay: Went with Piccioni to Guys, met there Watson whom I had seen in Port Phillip. He had been obliged to leave it, he said, on account of an affection of the lungs. He said pleuro pneumonia. I said but was not Australia better for you than England? He said, he should have died had he remained there arid that he got over the winter in England much better. He had been tapped, he said, to let out the fluid 5 times and was then seeking Mr. Corke to examine his chest. He looked ill. Met also a neat Quaker medical man who came to see the Practice in carriage and pair. I asked after Metford, if he knew him. Yes, very well, didst thou know him. I knew him in Paris. He is dead. He asked me if he studied well in Paris. I said I thought he did. This Quaker was a burly one, stout in face and body, coarse hair, whiskers shaved off, black coat, satin waistcoat, black trowsers, black silk stockings and shoes, narrow forehead, head wide behind not high in benevolence or veneration, prominent in causality. He was very communicative and seemed well informed. We were much pleased at Guys. I should much like to spend some time there. On our way back we saw pineapples being sold at 6 pence a piece. Little Piccioni could scarcely believe it and asked me how much. I told him and his mouth watering he pulled out his purse a voluminous one, a long ceremony. It was to get at something wrapped in a piece of paper. I wondered what it was so carefully preserved, it was a half sovereign He bought it, carried it some distance, saying that you could not buy it in Paris under 12 francs. How beautiful the perfume was, etc. He wondered that I did not buy one. I told him that I would not give 2 pence for a hundred. He looked at me arid I repeated the observation. "No, my friend," said he, "you are wrong, you are wrong." I forget his reasons. I told him that I who did not care about them saved my sixpence while he who liked them so much spent his 6 pence here arid would be perhaps tempted to spend 12 francs on them in Paris. But he began to eat them in anticipation. Said he, "but they perhaps will not know how to cook them here." "Cook them," said I, "why we always eat them as they are." "Ah, that is perhaps the measure, my dear Sare, the measure for which you do not buy them." But (and I suppose he had made up his mind to cook them himself) I perhaps cannot get the wind. I asked him how they were cooked. I made out that they were boiled in wine. I asked in what wine. "Oh," said he, "the best they have." He soon found himself carrying the naked pineapple to be a great attraction. He said I must wrap him up, they do regard me as if I was one singe ape you call and he wrapped it up in his pocket handkerchief. He soon became fatigued, wondered at my fast walking powers. He said, "I would I had not bought it." "Why," said I, "you were just saying how delicious it was." "Yes, my dear sare, it is very delicieux on the table but not very delicieux in mine hand when I walk so much long way it is too wet." (for wei~ht ~nd this word for heavv). I offered to carry it for him and he thankfully accepted my offer staying for a few minutes until he was rested. I carried it to Howland Street, where I left him to go to my dining house being tres bien appetiser. I dined for 9 pence, cold boiled beef 6 pence, potatoes, cabbage, waiter each a penny. We are to meet at the foot of Howland Street tomorrow at ½ past 9 to go first to the Museum of the R.C.S. then to the Charing Cross Eye Hospital.

July 25th, Friday: Went this morning with Piccioni to the College of Surgeons but were disappointed as the Museum is only open on the 4 first days of the week from 12 to 4 pm. From thence to the College of Physicians. Took Piccioni in to see the portraits of eminent Physicians. Got their regulations -the extra licence, seventeen pounds, licence fifty six pounds, from the latter one may be elected fellow, not from the extra licence. With the latter one cannot practice within T miles of London. Mean to read their regulations tomorrow in the railway carriage. Thence to Eye Infirmary. Saw the patients arid some operations by C. Guthrie, a half squabble between him and his father. There was here an East Indian student who wore his dress, bare neck, moustache, etc. He seemed very intelligent, knew the way to the University College much better than either myself or Piccioni. He told us that he had been in London since April and found the weather then very cold but still wore his dress. I asked if he did not think the neck too bare. "No", he said, "the ladies all go with the neck bare and they are not so unhealthy as the Gentlemen.'t I said I thought them more disposed to consumption. Piccioni thought so too. He, the Lascar, had a cough at first which soon left him. He was entered a student of the University College and intended to pass the College of Surgeons. Saw Liston operate. Piccioni insisted on giving me a stethoscope to keep for his sake. I went to his lodgings and he wrote my name on it. I wrote him three orders to visit the Museum R.C.S. Intend to go tomorrow to Appleby per rail.
     August 7th: Stayed 3 days at Appleby. Met with hearty welcome from all, particularly from Wm. Wilson at whose house I slept. Spent most of my time at Moulds. Found Miss M. as good and religious as ever, or more so. Drew out her beautiful sentiments by opposition, this rather foolish as it gave her a bad opinion of me but the temptation was more than I could bear as her ideas are so pure and admirable. She looks rather thinner and older. Met Louisa Taylor at her own house and at Mould's. The little (she is, however, of the tallest middle height) beauty sang like a Syren. She is, I think, not quite so beautiful as formerly, being too thin arid paler. Visited Webb at his father in Can's Luclington. Gruff as he was, he seems now rather unmanly and desponding, poor fellow, he had done nothing for several years. Has now cavities in one of his lungs.
     Looks somewhat but not much thinner. He asked me anxiously what I thought and I told candidly that there was tubercular disease but qualified it by saying there was no telling how long it might last. Called on my old schoolmaster Dr. Lloyd. Found him looking thinner and very stiff. He appeared to be pleased with the mark of respect shewn by my calling on him. Mr. Wilson drove me to Burton where I took the train for Derby, changed it there for one going to Nottingham. At Derby I met Dr. Hodkin and Mr. Eddison. They were going to the meeting of the provincial association. Dr. H. enquired earnestly about the aborigines of New South Wales. I promised to write him as good an account as my memory and observation allowed me. Saw Taylor and Lightfoot, Watts, Wilson, Thompson (I.N.) Mr. Wright all kind and friendly. Met Massey who looked, I thought, the picture of misery. I dare say well disposed but I suppose his farmer ancestors and bringing up makes him appear coarse minded and vulgar. Called on Sibson. Asked him about Dr. Davison and was inundated with a torrent, a river of verbosities about parenchymatous inflammation not being accompanied with pain. He was proceeding to enlarge upon organic nerves when I reminded him as gently as I could, that I knew about nerves of organic life and merely wished to know if the Doctor suffered from pain in the side. I wished to ascertain if he died of acute Pneumonia. Sibson confused me so much with his elements that I do not yet know exactly. He gave me a pamphlet of his to admire. He would, I think, be in his glory among a set of juniors. He would feed on an opportunity of descanting as a cow does in a high field of clover. Mr. Wright said that Sibson would shew me his cases in the Hospital. I have not yet, however, assumed courage to encounter this man of long wind.
     I saw Mr. Padley in Bulwell and he invited me to dine with him on the following day. I met Mr. Armitage, Rector of Bulwell, there. He is a light pleasant and gentlemanly man. Miss Padley seemed to like to hear of my adventures. I thought of Othello as I related them. Mrs. Padley looked much better than formerly. Called in two or three days. Neither Mrs. P. nor Miss P. were at home, they having gone to visit Mrs. Bottom of Hempshall. I left a print of Australian Blacks to amuse Miss P. and Mr. P. gave me a general invitation. Saw Wilson who invited me to breakfast. He was reading prayers when I arrived and was very friendly. His wife tolerable so. I called afterwards and he took me up stairs to choose from a number of articles some memento of Dr. Davidson. I chose a tape measure as it had his name on it.
     Undetermined whether to go abroad again or stay in England according to the wish of my mother. In casting up the account of the probabilities of happiness on either side, I could not make out which prepondered and went up to Town. Decided to go if I met a favorable chance, if not to commence in Gainsbro'. I could not get an Emigrant vessel to Australia but hearing of one to W.I. with coolies, I determined to go in her. She was to take the coolies from Calcutta and I wished to see both this place and its diseases and the older I am before settling in England, the less chance of my enemy Phthisis getting to windward.

     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "Susannah", arriving at Calcutta, West Bengal, India, on 6 March 1846. In September 1845 he travelled to India from London on the barque Susannah via South Africa. December 7-24 via Simons Town, Sth Africa.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Mauritius on 6 June 1846 as the surgeon on the "Lady Flora Hastings". On April 14 1846 he transferred to the Lady Flora Hastings and soon departed from Calcutta for Mauritius arriving there 6 June. On the 28th he sailed for Madras & Calcutta with 272.5 coolies. On August 3rd in Calcutta, he obtained a reference from Geo J Wetherall, Commander of the Lady Flora Hastings stating that I have much pleasure in certifying that RRSB Esq M.D. has acted as surgeon to this ship during two trips between Calcutta and Mauritius, the first commencing in April 21st 1846 with 274 coolies emigrants on board, the second from Mauritius to this place with 273.5. I am happy to state that the mortality on board during the two trips was much less than th... and that I have been perfectly satisfied with Dr Bowker's attention and care of those whom he has medical charge and also with his conduct in every other respect.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Madras, India, on 25 September 1846 as the surgeon on the "Finandra". On September 3rd 1846 he left Calcutta in the Finandra arriving Madras 25th and he obtained another reference: Ship Finandra, 22 March 1847 - I have much pleasure in certifying that Richard Ryther Steer Bowker Esquire, M.D. has acted as surgeon of the ship during the voyage from Madras to Durban with 200 coolies... on board & I am happy to say with ... only one child had died which was dis... before coming aboard & that I have been perfectly satisfied with Dr Bowker's attention & care with immigrants & also with his conduct in every other respect, John Lowther, Commander.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Adelaide, South Australia, on 19 August 1847 as the surgeon on the "Cressy". Dr R S Bowker was the surgeon superintendent carrying 272 emigrants from London via Plymouth. Reported 18 September to have been ready to sail for India for 10 days, but still at the North Arm on the 22nd, because half the crew had deserted. Reported to be at the bar and about to sail for Bombay on 2 October 1847. H Withers, Master.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "Phantom", arriving at Sydney, on 11 September 1847. The brig Phantom 158 tons, from Adelaide 30 August, listed cabin passenger Dr R R S Bowker.
     On 28 June 1848, he was presented with plate worth 150 guineas by the people of Newcastle for his services to the community and as senior surgeon to the hospital. He was so busy that he advertised that he could not take any new patients.
     From 1849 Richard had a relationship with Mary Ann Hewson, the widow of Job Hudson and they had four children baptised in 1869.
     It was reported in The Maitland Mercury 10 Feb 1849: It was proposed that Dr Bowker be surgeon at Newcastle Hospital. On 3 October they reported that his name was listed at Major Crummers Testimonial dinner, Farquharson's Hotel, Newcastle.
     1851 Oct 4 & 1852 Jan 28 - Advertisement in the Maitland Mercury for the Californian Hotel next door to Dr Bowker's surgery.
Between 1851-53 he was absent from Newcastle on medical research.
     He advertised his absence for 6 days to go to Sydney on June 30, 1852.
     In 1853, on his return from overseas he made his home in Church St having previously lived in corner of Watt & Church St, the entrance being in Church St. Reid's Lane was previously called Bowker's Lane and was renamed Pacific St in Sep 1878.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "Argo", arriving at Sydney, on 24 July 1853. The ship came from Southampton via Melbourne.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "Almeda", arriving at Sydney, on 13 September 1853. He departed from Melbourne on 7 Sep 1853..
On 7 November 1853 Richard Ryther Steer Bowker purchased property in Waratah, New South Wales, on 7 November 1853. Bowker purchased 22 acres of land at Waratah - Portion 155, parish of Newcastle, at auction 7 Nov 1853 and received the deeds on 11 May 1854. On 28 Dec 1906 the Railways Commissioners purchased the land to improve the coal traffic at Bullock Island. It is now the site of the railway coal sidings..
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to London, after February 1854. Jan 19 1854 Maitland Mercury: Notice of preliminary public meeting for testimonial to Dr Bowker on eve of his departure. The testimonial was held 4 Feb, in his reply printed in the Maitland Mercury 4th Feb, he stated that he intends to be away 11 months. He went to England for further study (L.R.C.P., F.R.C.S., 1854). 1854 in U K and France (diary held).
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Sydney, on 30 May 1854 per the "Yarra Yarra". He came from Melbourne.
     In June & August 1854 he kept a diary while at University College Hospital & Moorfields Eye Hospital. Parts are dated February.
     In August 1854 he was made a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Southampton, England, on 9 September 1854 per the "Croesus". From Melbourne.
     The Maitland mercury advertised: Newcastle, 21st May, 1855. 2953, Dr. Bowker, having returned from Europe, will be in Newcastle to receive patients, from and after Monday, 28th inst.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list of the "Yarra Yarra", arriving at Sydney, on 21 May 1855. He departed from Melbourne as a cabin passenger.
     On 18 August 1855 he attended an inquest, and was also listed in the Borough electors, residence Watt St, Newcastle, - freeholder Pacific St.
     1856 his brother Robert and family visited him in Newcastle - his nephew Richard (who was born en-route) being christened at Newcastle Jan 5 1857. His mother came with them and stayed until her death. Richard was appointed coroner in and for Newcastle and Raymond Terrace in the Government Gazette on 22 August 1856.
     1857 - Newcastle is in much repute amongst invalids. They flock thither from all parts of New South Wales on account of the celebrated Dr Bowker, who has chosen Newcastle for his head-quarters. He has one of the best houses in the principal street at almost a nominal rent compared with that of the adjoining property. On one occasion, he said something about going elsewhere. But his house wa so besieged with petitions from the inhabitants by who he was entreated to stay, that he gave up all thoughts of removal. And so extensive did his practice subsequently become, that he was obliged to engage an assistant. Dr Bowker is a native of Nottingham. He went out with he intention of conducting a sheep farm on the upper Hunter. There he cured some very bad cases of opthalmia, and his fame soon spread abroad, the people flocked from all quarters, so he abandoned sheep farming, and returned to his profession. He is a tall gentlemanly like person, about 37 years of age. He has much property in the city, and is also the owner of two schooners engaged in the coal trade. One of them, the Lavinia, was the "pet" of the port. In a few years Dr Bowker bids fair to become one of the wealthiest men in that part of the colony. Invalids may be seen wandering about the streets and harbour at all times of the day. Some of them are labouring under heart-disease and opthalmia, and others from rheumatism and other diseases brought on by the hardships of life in the bush. There was a Sydney gentleman amongst the invalids, suffering from a rheumatic complaint brought on by searching after the bones of Leichhardt, who perished in attempting to explore the interior of the island. The hospital was a small building erected on the sands between the gaol and the city. It was full of the poorer sorts of patients, and to those the Dr. paid great attention. The lodging-houses and inns are always thronged with convalescents. Owing to the salubrity of the palce and the skill of the Doctor, there was little mortality.      
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was a Member of Parliament from 28 January 1858 to April 1859 for Sydney, New South Wales. He represented the North Eastern Boroughs in the Legislative Assembly in the 2nd parliament which was dissolved 11 April 1859.
     His father died in March 1858.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker lived at 82 Philip Street, Sydney, New South Wales, 1858.      
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker moved to Newcastle, New South Wales, about early November 1858 per the "to a new home on his marriage". On the 6 Nov 1858 it was advised that Dr Bowker is about to remove to the house lately occupied by Wm Croasdil and opposite the Wesleyan chapel, and will not be prepared to receive patients from the country till Sat 13th Nov. (dated Nov 4, Newcastle). This house is called Claremont and is now the Newcastle Club.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker married Lydia Frances Phillips, daughter of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard, on 11 November 1858 in St Paul's, Paterson. Their marriage settlement was registered in book 59, no.11. The Trustees were given power to purchase land. It was dated November 10 1858, the day before his marriage.
     By 1859 his brother Robert and family have returned to Appleby.
1861 June 22 - death of his mother at Church St, Newcastle.
     The Maitland mercury reported that he had dissolved his partnership with Dr Morgan on 30 May 1861. Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was the informant at the death of Elizabeth Steer, on 22 June 1861.
In August 1862 Richard Ryther Steer Bowker purchased property in Tyrrel St, Newcastle, New South Wales, in August 1862.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was employed as Health Officer on 21 May 1863, Newcastle, New South Wales.
     In November 1864 his "horse diary" commences. He was listed in a directory dated 1866 as Health Officer & Surgeon at Newcastle, New South Wales. Health Officer & Vaccinator, Surgeon, Surgeon to Artillery Volunteers.
On 14 April 1867 Richard Ryther Steer Bowker purchased property in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, on 14 April 1867. Conveyance (to defeat ... estates tail) from Edward Augustus Phillips to R R S Bowker of Lots 30 & 31. (Registered Book 126. no. 554). Consideration £500. June 6 - issued title for vol. 46 fol.99 for lots 22, 24 & 26 of the Bona Vista Estate.
In 1868 Richard Ryther Steer Bowker purchased property in Paterson, New South Wales, Australia, in 1868. He purchased land ex Bona Vista Estate from William Cowper. He raced and bred many successful race horses there. His record of 150 wins with Sir Solomon has never been beaten. See his diary.
     His four illegitimate children by Mary Ann Hudson (nee Hewson) were baptised.
     Administration of the estate of Lydia Ballard was granted to Richard Ryther Steer Bowker, on 9 July 1869 in New South Wales, 1869 July 9: This day, by act of Court, Administration of all & singular, the goods chattels, credits and effects of Lydia Phillips deceased was granted to Richard Ryther Steer Bowker, the duly constituted Attorney of Louisa Jane Sloan a creditor of the deceased Intestate as to her personal estate Intestate died the 24th Nov 1864. Goods sworn at £200 Letters of admon. dated the same day as granted.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker sent a letter dated 14 January 1870 to Lydia Frances Phillips. Newcastle, Jan 14th 1870
My dear Lydia
I hope you have such an instalment? of rain as we have now. It is very small fine rain but our paddocks looked very thirsty. At any rate I hope it has finished the intense heat which was greater than I remember to have ever felt in Australia before. I hear that several deaths have happened suddenly in Maitland & have been attributed to sun stroke among them, Clarke the dancing master & old Goodall the surveyor. I hope Robert & Charles took no harm from their wetting in the water hole. With all his faults I feel very fond of Robert. Indeed, I may say fond and proud of all of them. Robert is in many respects a fine and noble boy and my little Betha and her lemonade and anxiety to prepare it for me pleases me more and more. Isabella is not so demonstrative but still we have reason to be proud of them all and thankful to have such a fine set of children. You can scarcely tell how grateful and delighted I felt at your kind attentions as well as those of the children for I am not very demonstrative myself and yet it is my destiny to be gloomy and morose at times and I shall never be able to prevent it perhaps I make it up in the intensity of the affection and admiration which have for you and my great love which I feel (if I do not much express) for our children. I send some powders for little Richard to be taken night and morning until better.
I have just had a visit form Mrs Julia Walker, her husband & two children. Mr Walker seems a nice kind of person and the children are fine and strong. The boy 7 years of age as big as Robert or nearly so.
I had thought Mr Walker a rougher & worse bargain than he is. I think Mrs Walker has great reason to congratulate herself as to her husband.
Mr Peel had not been out on horseback, he complained that he had worn out ever so many pairs of trousers while riding. He is a curious mixture & I shall feel much more comfortable when Mr Hector is here instead of him. I notice the filly as you said very large. I hope she is not in foal when Isabella is old enough, she will carry her like the wind.
Yours very affectionately
R R S Bowker
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was mentioned in a deed dated 13 February 1872 in re 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales. Transfer 8353 "in consideration of the natural love and affection I bear my wife and children and in part substitution for certain vessels comprised in my marriage settlement of which Charles Bolton of Newcastle, Esq. and Frederick Holkham Dangar of Sydney, merchant are now the trustees", Dr Bowker transferred 221 acres comprising lots 22, 24, 26, 27, 28 & 29 of the Bona Vista Estate to Messrs. Bolton and Dangar and certificate of title vol. 148 fol.17 issued 10th October 1872 for these lands.
     The National Trust notes for a house inspection of 5 Bennett Avenue, Darling Point, the home of Dr & Mrs E G MacMahon, on 12 May 1964 stated: One of the earliest houses in Darling Point, it began its life as Clark Lodge, built by architect Mr Francis Clarke... It is described in early records as a "small Gothic House" or a "picturesque villa" ... In 1869 the house was sold to Charles Elouis, appointed deputy master of the Royal in in 1854.... He named the house 'Avoca' He sold the property in 1873 to Dr Richard Ryther Steer Bowker who greatly enlarged the house and lived there until his death in 1903.... Mr J Arthur Dowling, grandson of the Australia's second Chief Justine, Sir James Dowling, renamed the house Brougham Lodge when he lived there and made the garden his hobby... James Bennett acquired the property in 1913 and in 1918 it was bought by a barrister Mr Harold Mason, and named Callooa. (Mrs Mason remembers leg irons in the cellar walls). Dr & Mrs MacMahon embarked on an extensive program of restoration when they bought the house in 1950 ....
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was on the passenger list, arriving at Newcastle, in January 1873. His diary records: 29 Feb, arrived back from a trip to Hobart Town for 5 weeks.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker lived at 'Avoca', Thornton St (now 5), Darling Point, New South Wales, from 1873 to 1903. Bennett Avenue).      
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker moved to 'Glenellen', Maitland, New South Wales, Australia, in 1873. In 1873 he sold his residence in Tyrell St to the Dominican Nuns for £6000. (It became the Star of the Sea convent) and moved to 'Avoca', Darling Point. He was listed in a directory dated 1875 as R R S Bowker, surgeon at 155 Castlereagh St, Sydney. He was listed in a directory dated 1875 as Richard Bowker, MD at Darling Point, Woollahra, New South Wales.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker received a letter from Dr Robert Stanser Bowker dated 26 August 1875?. Newton Lodge, nr Tamworth, Staffordshire. Aug 26
My dear brother,
From what you say I am quite certain you have no heart disease. It all arises from dispepsia. You should take some stomach oil at the time you eat your dinner so that the food may pass off the stomach quicker and have so much to ... went over to see some people who came from Belton and they are certain the Temple belongs us. There are several Rythers and Popplewells buried in Belton churchyard. I am sure Mr Bellinger Johnson's will ought to be examined, likewise some of the wills years back. I somehow feel certain HILTON has no right to Temple. I should much like to join you, yet if I came and you were gone I should be in a fix. I think you ought not to take purgatives. Most likely you will not be able to get any good nor? wine in England - it is very scarce - draught porter? if it suits is better than bottled. I take no medicine of any kind and never feel bad. I little bran as the B... if the bowels do not act. You will think I am a fool for saying such trash to you. You think physic a God, I think it hastens people to the Devil - if there is such a saint and place.
Yours truly, R S Bowker.
Dr Richard Ryther Steer Popplewell Steer Bowker
. Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was listed in a directory dated between 1876 and 1882 as RRS Bowker, MD, FRCS at 19 Charlotte Place, Sydney. His private residence was William Street, Upper East in 1876.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Sydney, on 4 April 1876 per the "You Yangs". Dr Bowker was a cabin passenger from Melbounre.
     The Maitland mercury reported on the 2 Nov 1876: Improvements in the district … Dr. Bowker of Sydney, has also just commenced the erection of a similar handsome cottage, as a country residence, on the Bona Vista Estate, which will also overlook the Maitland Road…. He was listed in a directory dated 1877 as R Bowker MD at Hunter St, Darling Point, New South Wales.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker received a letter dated 8 July 1877. 53 Latrobe St, East. July 8 1877.
Dear Bowker,
I reached home about 1/2 past 8 on Thursday night after a delightful trip. I am glad to say I found all well. Mrs Barker thought me much improved by my holiday. One of my fellow passengers was Sir G Innes, he was introduced to me before leaving by Mr McKenzie there was also on board my friend Mr Keogh & a Mr Richardson, a Victorian squatter. ... Got on very well, played whist at night until they made us put out the lights. You will see by the telegram that the .... has arrived here. Lady Innes was on board of her & Sir G came to meet her. My son proposes leaving here on Monday the 16th inst. to see Dr Taylor of Parramatta. I shall take the opportunity of sending you the Lunacy & Medical Acts & if I can procure it, the proposed new medical bill. I will also see what book that I have of the New Sydenham Society & send them also. I have not at present made any enquiries about the Ald.... Cows but will do so before my son leaves & let you know about them.
I was busy for a long time in looking over my letters on Thursday night. I could scarcely have believed that such a number could have accumulated in such a time.
I managed to get a cold coming down & completely lost my voice so that I could not lecture on Friday evening. How do you like the new buggy? I am certain it will be a nice convenience for you in the hot weather.
I trust the the accounts you received from Mrs Bower were more satisfactory as to the state of her health than the one when I was with you. When you write to her remember me most kindly, I can only say that during my stay with you I looked upon as some most delightful days of existence.
With kind regards from Mrs Barker,
Believe me,
My dear Bowker
yours sincerely
Edw. Barker
to Dr Bowekr
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker in 19 Church Hill, Sydney, sent a letter dated 25 July 1877 to Lydia Frances Phillips.      
Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was a Member of the Legislative Council from October 1877 to November 1880 for Sydney, New South Wales. In October 1877 he was nominated to represent Newcastle in the Legislative Assembly, he was practising in Sydney at the time. Elected 26 Oct for the 9th parliament which was dissolved 9 Nov? 1880.
     Dr Bowker MLA. The newly elected member of the Legislative Assembly for the city of Newcastle is a man of mark in the country... [to be transcribed].
On 14 October 1878 Richard Ryther Steer Bowker purchased property in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales, on 14 October 1878. Conveyance to R R S Bowker of lots 33-35 of Bona Vista Estate from Charles John Brackenreg as trustee of the will of James Brackenreg. The overseer of Bona Vista was William Rowcliff. His groom's name was Towns according to Dr Champion. He was listed in a directory dated from 1879 as R R S Bowker at 'Avoca', Thornton Avenue, Darling Point, New South Wales. Thornton Avenue was added to the address from 1882..
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker lived at 19 Church Hill or Charlotte Place, Sydney, New South Wales, 1880. His address in June 1880 was 19 Church Hill, in Oct 1880 19 Charlotte Place. He was awarded a Doctor of Medicine at the University of Sydney on 16 July 1881 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Be it known that Richard Ryther Steer Bowker having presented the requisite documents attesting that he holds the degree of Doctor of Medicine in the University of St Andrews and having satisfied the Senate of this good fame and character, was on the sixteenth day of July 1881 admitted to the corresponding degree of Doctor of Medicine in the University of Sydney. Signed, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine..
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Sydney, on 31 January 1884 per the "Garonne. Dr R S Bowker, aged 50, from Melbourne". He was listed in a directory dated 1886 as a Medical Officer and M.P. at 17 Clarence St, Sydney. Late medical officer Newcastle Hospital; M.P.
. He was listed in a directory dated 1890 as a doctor at Sydney. P.r. Avoca, Thornton St, Woollahra.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Sydney, on 27 February 1896 per the "Oonah". Dr Bowker was a passenger on a voyage from Hobart.
On 12 June 1896 Richard Ryther Steer Bowker sold property in Paterson, NSW. Land at "Bona vista". Bona Vista lots 22, 24, 26-29 were transferred by Richard Ryther Steer Bowker to his son Robert Steer Bowker of Sydney, physician and surgeon.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker travelled to Sydney, on 14 June 1896 per the "Waihora". Dr Bowker was a passenger on a voyage from Auckland. He was listed in a directory dated 1896 as Hon Richard Ryther S Bowker, MLC at Clarence Street, Sydney.
     Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was recorded in 1901 census in Newcastle, New South Wales. Dr Bowker, surgery only.
     Richard died of senility & pyelitis on 3 April 1903 in 'Avoca', Darling Point, New South Wales, aged 87. Bowker was appointed a justice of the peace and a member of the Borough council ... His ten year advocacy of sanitation culminated in 1868 in a wave of civic pride sweeping the district. He constantly objected to intramural burial so the dead. To his horror, rain and spring water percolated from the heights, which included the much used cemetery of Christ Church, to the wells and swamps of the lower town, where surface water was still used for domestic purposes. The councillors selected an area at Waratah as a cemetery, but Bowker showed that Waratah would some day be a suburb of Newcastle and intramural burials would recommence. Despite his fellow councillors he demanded land, out in the open, away from any suburban area, and the Sandgate cemetery has stood for many years, a tribute to his sagacity. He also advocated an adequate scheme for the clearance of night soil and demanded that the council engineer prepare a drainage plan; since the town was built on a hill, the accumulated filth could easily be drained into the harbour and eventually swallowed by the sea. Against much opposition he argued that the fever which each summer caused Newcastle Hospital to open a special ward was due to poor housing, no ventilation and marshy conditions. He would "drain to cure". Bowker also wanted a reticulated water scheme and always protested when small sums were proposed for local pumps, especially those installed near refuse dumps.
     Undated partial newspaper clipping: has always taken an interest in ... been a rather prominent member of ... some years. Though not an habitue of racecourses of late, he has for many years ... horses, principally animals bred on ... Bona Vista Estate, on the Paterson. In the ... a famous horse of his was Sir Solomon, a horse who could always be depended upon .. one of the forced handicaps of over a mile .. were then so popular, with almost any weight which events he could always be reckoned upon winning on each day's programme. Sir Solomoon, in all won about 150 events, chiefly in the Maitland district. Another successful old horse of Dr Bowker's was Lord of the Lake, and a present animal of some fame, if not conspicuous success, is Bellwood, now running in the Doctor's name. Dr Bowker, by the way, is "dead against" the Totalisator Bill. In 1858 Dr Bowker married Lydia, the youngest daughter of Mr Phillips, of the Paterson. Mrs Bowker, whose mother had been a maid of honor to Queen Caroline, died in 1878, leaving 8 children, 6 boys and 2 girls. One of the latter married a squatter, and the other became the wife of Mr C M Ranclaud, manager of the Bank of Australasia at Newcastle, and now Colonel-Commandant of the 4th Infantry Regiment. Of the sons, three followed their father's profession, and, like him, have been closely associated with the Sydney Hospital. In all respects, Dr Bowker is an excellent type of the successful colonist, and his success has come to him almost entirely by his own ability and energy.
He possibly owned land at Fig Tree Point, Toronto (this land passed to his son Edward). He also lived at Watt St, & Market Square. He owned land in Pacific St. and had an allotment in Barker St. He had a surgery in Bolton St which was sold in 1903 to Braye & Cohen. He was very friendly with E C Mereweather and patched up a patient named Craik who had a gunshot wound in the face.. He was buried on 6 April 1903 in Paterson. Funerals - Bowker - The funeral of the Honble. RICHARD R STEER BOWKER M.D. will move from his late residence "Avoca", Darling Point, on MONDAY MORNING at 7.30 a.m. for Redfern Station, and thence for interment at the Paterson Cemetery. Wood and Co., Funeral directors, Tele 726, etc.
     His will was proved on 24 August 1903 at New South Wales. Duty on his estate was paid on 24 August 1903. The estate was valued at £18,260. At his death he owned land in Georgetown Rd, Georgetown comprising 2 parcels of 6 acres, 3 roods 4.5 perches and 2 roods 11.5 perches, being parts of Lot 1A of a partition of part of 35 acres of allotment 77 (portion 135 of parish). These lands were transferred in 1905 and 1907. Under a Torrens title he held (1) Vol.126 fol.74 in respect of 1 rood, part allotment 6 of sect.18 (Denison & Darvall Sts) at Onibyganba in the parish of Newcastle - transferred in 1918 to The Glazed Waterproof Tile Co. Ltd; (2) Vol.117 fol.33 - 1 rood, the residue of allotment 6 of section 18 (Denison St) also transferred in 1918 to the above (both in Carrington); (3) Vol.385 fol.70 - 16.75 perches, being Lot 1 Deposited plan 394 (Darlinghurst Rd) at Darlinghurst - transferred in 1908 to W C & A G Donovan; (4) Vol.96 fol.47 - 2 acres 1 rood - part of the Delamere estate (Yarrannabee Rd) at Darling Point - transferred in 2 parcels in 1913. 1904 Mar 16: Conveyance: executors of the will of R R S Bowker & R S Bowker as trustee re above settlement & children of settlors to Moses Smith of Lots 30, 31, 33-35 (Reg. book 757 no.637) Consideration £800. Lots 22, 24, 26-29 (Title vol.148 fol.17) were transferred (no.384656) same day from Robert Steer Bowker to Moses Paterson, auctioneer - consideration £1600. The land was in turn owned by Daphne Chloris Smith and her son Colin Smith.
     On 7 June 1967 the Registrar General replied to Dr. Ben Champion: In response to your letter dated 6th June, 1967, I ask that you please supply further particulars that will permit of the identification of Bona Vista and the trust deed to which you have referred.
     I might mention that an office copy of the will of Dr. Richard Ryther Steer Bowker was lodged in this Office in connection with Primary Application No. 13206 which resulted in the issue of Certificate of Title Volume 1551 Folio 63 in the names of his executors Robert Steer Bowker of Sydney, Physician, Charles Stanser Bowker of Dungog, Physician, Cedric Victor Bowker of Sydney, Physician, and Elizabeth Steer Rich, wife of George Edward Rich of Sydney, Barrister-at-law for land situated in Georgetown Road, Georgetown (then in the Municipal District of Waratah) and comprising two parcels of 6 acres 3 roods 41/2 perches and 2 roods 11 1/2 perches, being parts of Lot 1A of a partition of part of 35 acres Allotment 77 (Portion 135 of Parish). These lands were the subject of transfers in 1905 and 1907.
     In respect of lands held under Torrens Title, the executors (pursuant to Transmission Application No. 18297) became registered proprietors of the lands in Certificates of Title
(1) Volume 126 Folio 74 in respect of 1 rood part Allotment 6 of Section 18 (Denison & Darvall Streets) at Onibyganba in the Parish of Newcastle - transferred in 1918 to The Glazed Waterproof Tile Co. Limited;
(2) Volume 117 Folio 33 in respect of 1 rood, the residue of Allotment 6 of Section 18 (Denison Street) - also transferred in 1918 to The Glazed Waterproof Tile Co. Limited;
(3) Volume 385 Folio 70 in respect of 16 3/4 perches, being Lot 1 Deposited Plan 394 (Darlinghurst Road) at Darlinghurst transferred in 1908 to W.C. & A.G. Donovan;
(4) Volume 96 Folio 47 in respect of 2 acres 1 rood being part of the Delamere Estate (Yarrannabee Road) at Darling Point, transferred in two parcels in 1913. Estate duty was paid 24 August 1903.

Children of Richard Ryther Steer Bowker and Mary Ann Hewson

Children of Richard Ryther Steer Bowker and Lydia Frances Phillips

Frederick Sheppard Grimwade

(1904 - 1950)
     Frederick Sheppard Grimwade was commonly known as Erick. He was born in 1904 in Caulfield, Victoria. He was the son of Dr Alfred Sheppard Grimwade and Amy Gertrude Tanner.
     Frederick Sheppard Grimwade married Gwendoline Ada Carnegie, daughter of Walter Howard Carnegie and Ada Edgerton, on 30 October 1928 in Victoria. They had 8 grandchildren and as of 2004 15 great grandchildren.
     Frederick was a metallurgist and established Grimwade Castings.
     Frederick died in 1950 in hospital, East Melbourne, Victoria.

Child of Frederick Sheppard Grimwade and Gwendoline Ada Carnegie