Sturton le Steeple, Nottinghamshire
From 1823 it became known as Sturton le Steeple and is linked with Fenton & Littleborough. The villages of Sturton Le Steeple, Littleborough and Fenton are situated in the north of the county of Nottinghamshire. Located near to the River Trent that defines the county border with Lincolnshire, close to the towns of Retford and Gainsborough. The villages are just a few minutes drive from the historic city of Lincoln and the new International Robin Hood airport at Finningly, Doncaster. The villages have a combined population of about 500. At the heart of the parish is the old Roman road from Littleborough to Sturton Le Steeple passing the fine church of St Peter and St Paul.
White's 1853 directory stated: "Sturton Parish comprises the village of Sturton in the Clay, and the hamlet of Fenton, and contains 637 inhabitants and 4,104 acres of land, of which, at the enclosure in 1823, an allotment of 727a 1r 4p was awarded to the Dean and Chapter of York, in lieu of the rectorial tithes, and 127a 3r 8p to the vicar, in lieu of the small tithes.
Sturton in the Clay is a large village, consisting of four streets, on the Littleborough Road, 6 miles east by north of Retford. It was anciently called Streton, from the Roman road which passes through it to Doncaster. The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a large structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and lofty tower, having twelve handsome pinnacles, with a peal of five bells. The benefice is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £5 7s 3½d, now £282. G.S. Foljambe Esq. is lord of the manor, and owner of a great portion of the soil, as well as lessee of the Dean and Chapter land. The annual feast is on the Sunday before October 2nd. The Wesleyans have a neat chapel, erected in 1832, and in 1836, G.S. Foljambe Esq. erected a neat parish school, and the vicar send four children free
North St, Sturton le Steeple
In 1841 described as Sturton in the Clay