Harewood, Yorkshire

The prosperous medieval village lay east of the church, standing at the crossing point of the Leeds to Ripon Road and the York to Skipton road. A new village was built by the architect John Carr for Edwin Lascelles, the first Lord Harewood from about 1760. The key to understanding the appearance and size of the present churh is its relationship to the ruined castle which stands on the ridge crest ovelrooking the broad valley of the Wharfe. The castle was constructed about 1367 for William, Lord Aldburgh. The church was built in its present form for the grand-daughters of that Lord Aldburgh in about 1410. Harewood was an extensive land holding when the Domesday Book was compiled with about 12 townships. A major change came in the mid 14th century. There were now resident land owners, the lords Lisle, living at Rougemont (Red Mound) a castle in the Wharfe Valley, and John, second Lord Lisle, granted the church to Bolton Priory in 1353, requiring them to support six chaplains whose prayers would commemorate him and his father. The priory started a more ambitious rebuilding ... When Robert, third Lord Lisle gave his lands at Harewood to his brother in law William Lord Alburgh, the latter built hi snew stone castle on the south side of the Wharfe. This became the family home of the Aldburghs and then jointly of the Redmans and Rythers until the late 16th century.

Places associated with people in the database