A roofless church on the island is shown in a 1609-10 map, and it was probably still ruined in 1622, when there was a complaint that ‘the old church standeth in an inconvenient place’. The Protestant population seems to have worshipped in Sir John Dunbar’s church at Derrygonnelly until a new church was built at Church Hill in 1688, to be replaced in turn in 1831 by the present Inishmacsaint parish church at Benmore

Places associated with people in the database