Colin Nardrop

     Colin Nardrop married Jessie M Paul, daughter of William Henry Paul and Frances Spencer, in 1892 in St Leonards district, New South Wales.

William MacKenzie

(say 1750 - )
     William MacKenzie was also known as Riach in records. William MacKenzie was also known as Rioch in records. He was born say 1750 in Portleich, Kilmuir Easter. Prof. W.J. Watson's - 'Place Names of Ross and Cromarty' gives: Barbaraville-G. an cladach, the shore; its east end is Portlich, G. port fhlich (loc.), the wet port - there being no proper place for landing.
For more on the parish see: http://www.rossandcromartyheritage.org/Community/Kilmuir-Logie/Heritage/History.aspx.
     As there were three contemporary William MacKenzies alias Rioch in Portlich our research pauses here until further records become available to determine which William was our ancestor.
William & John McKenzie witnessed the baptism of the child of William McKenzie, fisherman in Portlich and Ann McKenzie his spouse on Dec 3 1785, the child was born 28 Nov? He is too old to be listed in the 1814 militia lists for either Cromarty or Kilmuir Easter.
Kilmuir Easter's population in 1755 was 1095, increasing to 1703 by 1801. The Portlich area is now known as Barbaraville.
     William MacKenzie married Christian MacKenzie, daughter of John MacKenzie and Isobel Young, before 1774. William was a fisher from 1774, in Kilmuir Easter. Mowat, in Easter Ross states that in the eighteenth century the fishing industry in Easter Ross was a primitive affair. The fishers were scattered in small communities all the way along the shores of the firths and concentrated upon inshore fishing, rarely venturing more than a few miles off shore and often relying on the shoals making their way into the inner firths. White fish, herring and salmon were all plentiful and were pursued within these limits but herring, possibly the most important of these, could not be relied upon to re-appear yearly at the same spot, and such uncertainty combined with the fishers' inability to pursue the fish at any distance made the growth of a stable and prosperous fishing community more difficult. The fishermen based in the Cromarty Firth seem to have been particularly timid - partly, at least, because the easy availability of fish within the sheltered waters of the firth prior to 1774 had made it unnecessary to learn to face the rougher conditions out in the Moray Firth - while those from Tarbat and Fearn were rather more willing to venture from home waters to secure a catch. With the exceptions of Avoch and Cromarty the fishing hamlets were all very small. The standard boat was a low, open, clinker-built craft about 26 feet long, sometimes with two big square sails, but often relying solely on oars for propulsion. It was easily beached and harbours were not necessary. Those at Hilton in 1781 were manned by only 5 men, while some of the smaller boats from Tarbat which were only occasionally used for fishing were manned by no more than two or three. Fisher families tended to live in closed communities. As late as 1842 it could be said that intermarriages with the rural population are very uncommon; and it is seldom that the children deviate from the perilous craft of their fathers. They are characterized by peculiar notions and practices; and they have a certain feudal spirit, or pride of order, which tends to preserve them as a separate community.
In Easter Ross proper the industry was financed by the landlords. Fishing was rarely a full-time occupation. Agricultural services - providing shearers, making hay and carrying peats - were exacted and most fishers had crofts to supplement their winnings from the sea. Some fishers used their boats for freighting lime and peats for a good part of the year.
Another attempt to promote the industry was made by the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates who settled ex-sailors at Newtarbat, intending that they should become fishermen. The boats that the Commissioners supplied, however, were too small and the sailors soon gave up and left the area along with the rest of the proposed colony.
The end of the Napoleonic wars meant that the fear of press gangs was considerably reduced, while the introduction of a four shilling per barrel bounty in 1815 encouraged the growth of many herring fishing stations around the Moray Firth. Several good seasons led a company to set up business in Cromarty in 1819 on a larger scale than ever before. Within three years Cromarty rose to become the eighth largest centre for herring curing in Britain. By 1824 twenty thousand barrels of herring were being exported and two years later it was reported that two hundred women were employed in cleaning and salting the fish and that twenty-nine masted vessels lay in the firth waiting to carry away the finished product. While Cromarty was the greatest success story, there was a general increase in activity in this period and several fishing villages were encouraged by the construction of harbours.
Over most of the area, however, the boom was short-lived. Although the fishing industry in Scotland as a whole survived the end of the bounty system in 1830, the villages on the Cromarty Firth were badly hit, for the cessation of bounty payments coincided with the disappearance of the herring from the immediate environs of the Firth. While large shoals of herring were still to be found on the Guilliam Banks in the Moray Firth, directly opposite Cromarty, these were inaccessible to fishermen who had been accustomed to venture no further than ten or twelve miles out into the open sea. Their boats were not constructed to enable them to go fifty miles to sea and return with fish in a curable condition, even if it had been profitable for them to do so, and the profitability of the industry suffered with the decline in fish prices. The fishermen of Nigg who had made profits of twenty pounds and more in good seasons while the herring boom lasted had neglected the ordinary fishing and run up debts. When the boom collapsed they were left in poverty. As late as 1843 Cromarty fishers were still attempting to catch herring but with almost no success, although at that time the harbour was being used by larger French boats which were able to cure the fish on board.
Another attempt to promote the industry was made by the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates who settled ex-sailors at Newtarbat, intending that they should become fishermen. The boats that the Commissioners supplied, however, were too small and the sailors soon gave up and left the area along with the rest of the proposed colony
.
     William MacKenzie was employed He may have turned to masonry when Tarbat House was rebuilt from 1787 in 1787.

Children of William MacKenzie and Christian MacKenzie