Francis Henry Phillips

(2 May 1846 - 1883)
     Francis Henry Phillips was christened on 2 May 1846 in Tabulam, New South Wales. Francis Henry, son of Thomas [sic] Henry Fortunatus Phillips & Susanna Gordon Windeyer, of Tabulam, Clarence River, squatter. He was the son of Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and Susanna Gordon Windeyer.
Francis Henry Phillips married Isabella Hare in 1872 in Sydney, New South Wales.
     Francis died in 1883 in Dubbo, New South Wales.

Children of Francis Henry Phillips and Isabella Hare

Francis Henry Phillips

(1878 - )
     Francis Henry Phillips was born in 1878 in Paterson, New South Wales. He was the son of Francis Henry Phillips and Isabella Hare.

Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips

(24 September 1817 - 18 December 1854)
     Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips was also known as Frank in records. He was born on 24 September 1817. He was the son of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard. Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips was christened on 11 May 1820 in St Mary, Lambeth, Surrey. Frank Henry Fortunate, son of James & Lydia Phillips, Chester Place, Gent.
     Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and Henry Phillips, Jane Phillips, William Thomas Phillips and Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips arrived with James Phillips and Lydia Ballard on 20 May 1822 at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Henry, Jane, William, Francis, Isabella, Alfred, Samuel and Charles were recorded as the children of James Phillips in the on 15 November 1828 census in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales.
     Francis and Alfred William Phillips were educated from 1835? At the Normal Institution, Sydney. An undated letter addressed to Master F Phillips, Normal Institution: My dear Frank, I send you by D...y a pr. of black cloth trowsers; and if I hear a favorable account of you I will send a basket of oranges for you and Alfred by the Patterson. Also a basket for Isabella; I hope by this you understand the way of the school and are making the best of your time; I request that Alfred and you will get a letter ready to put into the box I shall send by Brown to Miss Jones for Janes and my dress; I have written her by post lest a vessel should go ere I have her things ready to say you will all send her a letter this time. My love to Alfred, Your anxious & affectionate mother wishes to hear often from you, in haste, L Phillips.
     A form of secular education under government patronage began in 1835 in the so-called "Normal Institution" whose original building still forms part of Sydney Grammar School in College St, Hyde Park. William Cape, 28 year old son of a failed banker was selected as first headmaster. His general curriculum included writing, arithmetic, maths, classics & book keeping. Special classes were conducted in modern & oriental languages, painting, drawing, dancing, gymnastics, fencing & military drill. For advanced students there were courses in jurisprudence and political economy. Fees ranged from c.£2 - £12 a term. .
     Normal Schools were also teacher training colleges.
Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and William Thomas Phillips witnessed David Sloan and Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips's wedding on 15 September 1840 in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales, Australia.
     In Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips's will dated 23 August 1842 in Paterson, New South Wales, Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips was named as executor of the estate.
The Maitland mercury in 1843 reported that Francis Phillips agreed to become a committeeman for Richard Windeyer's political campaign and attended a meeting of supporters at the Victoria Hotel at Hinton [25 March], fined for non attendance as a juror [14 October]. He is probably the F Phillips who it reported at the registration of voters, opposed the position of some voters [13 May], as a punt owner at Paterson, sued C Boydell at the Maitland Court of Requests for £6 mail puntage [11 November].1843 Sep 9, of Verrilong, Hunter River. Of "Vorribang" Williams River. Mowle states 3rd son of Jas Phillips of Durham Qld..
Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips married Susanna Gordon Windeyer on 9 September 1843 in St James, Sydney, New South Wales. Franic Henry Phillips of Verribang?, Hunter River married 9 Sep 1843 at St Janes church, Sydney, to Susannah Gordon Windeyer, 4th daughter of Charles Windeyer, Police Magistrate of Sydney.
     Francis resided at Clarence River, New South Wales, from 1845 to 1851. As of 1846, Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips was also known as Thomas H F in records. Francis in 1850, Clarence River, NSW.
F H F Phillips was a patron of the National School, Grafton [Papers of the Rev J D Lang v. 6 p. 586]. He was mentioned in a letter from Lydia Ballard dated 1853. In a letter from his mother she says she seldom hears much of Frank.
     Francis died by suicide on 18 December 1854 in Maitland, New South Wales, aged 37. Suicide.- On Tuesday evening, December 19th a magisterial inquiry was held at the hospital, Maitland, on the body of Francis Phlllips, there lying dead, by Mr. Peter Green, J. P. From the evidence, it appeared that he had been admitted as a patient labouring under delirium tremens, on Tuesday, 12th instant. On Thursday last, 14th, he attempted to cut his throat with a knife which he had been using for his dinner, there were three incised wounds, one upon each side of the wind- pipe, and the other wound upon the side of the neck. The wounds were not deep, and, from their appearance, seemed to have been inflicted with a blunt instrument. Mr Riley, the resident apothecary, was immediately called, and he was secured and continued to be watched till the period of his death, which occurred about half-past 10 o'clock p.m, 18th instant. The enquiry was not concluded when we went to press.
In1856, his wife Susannah Gordon Windeyer married secondly Henry Gale and had by him 5 sons & 1 daughter. The death was not registered but is recorded in the newspapers. He was buried in Campbells Hill cemetery, West Maitland. A coroner's inquest was held regarding his death on 19 December 1854 in Maitland. He was buried on 20 December 1854 in Campbell's Hill cemetery, South St, Telara, West Maitland. Francis Phillips aged 30, died 19th, buried 20th, Church of England section B9. A coroner's inquest was held regarding his death before 23 December 1854 in Maitland. The Maitland mercury reported on Saturday 23 December 1854: The inquest at the hospital: The inquest on the deceased patient Francis Phillips held before Mr Green, on Tuesday last, terminated with a verdict of died from exhaustion produced by intemperance - the evidence of Mr Riley showing that the marks on the throat were only superficial and the loss of blood slight.

Children of Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and Susanna Gordon Windeyer

Frederick Clarence Phillips

(1 July 1892 - 17 June 1988)
     Frederick Clarence Phillips was born on 1 July 1892 in Latrobe Tce, Paddington, Queensland. He is probably the Clarence rememebered by Charles Phillips. He was the son of Frederick Louis Phillips and Elizabeth Josephine Bushe.
     Frederick died on 17 June 1988 in Brisbane, Queensland, aged 95.

Frederick Louis Phillips

(4 May 1865 - 29 January 1907)
     Frederick Louis Phillips was also known as Thomas? Phillips in records. He was born on 4 May 1865 in Maitland, New South Wales. At Willow Cottage, on the 4th May, Mrs Phillips, of a son. There was also a supposed son Thomas.. He was the son of Alfred William Phillips and Elizabeth Maria Doyle.
     Frederick resided at Clarence River, New South Wales.
Frederick Louis Phillips married Elizabeth Josephine Bushe on 6 June 1892 in St John's Cathedral, Brisbane, Queensland.
     Frederick died on 29 January 1907 in Brisbane area, Queensland, aged 41. The demise of Mr F L Phillips, of the Royal Queensland Yacht Club, came as a sudden shock to the yachting fraternity. Mr. Phillips was well and favourably known as an ardent supporter of sailing and his death is very much lamented by all his colleagues. Some few weeks back the deceased gentleman was down in the Bay in Mr O'Beirne's yacht, the Bohemian, and getting wet, contracted a cold, which led to pneumonia. He leaves a wife and a large family of bright boys, whom Figaro condoles with.

He leaves a widow and six children, two sisters, one of whom is Mrs. J. V. Wilson, of Homebush Station, North Queensland, and three brothers, one of whom, Mr. Walter Phillips, is a resident of North Queensland. .

Children of Frederick Louis Phillips and Elizabeth Josephine Bushe

George Phillips

     George Phillips married Frances Elizabeth Dunbar, daughter of Frederick Killigrew Dunbar and Harriet Ledger, on 23 December 1903 in Brisbane, Queensland.

Children of George Phillips and Frances Elizabeth Dunbar

George Charles Phillips

(21 July 1907 - )
     George Charles Phillips was born on 21 July 1907 in Brisbane, Queensland. He was the son of Frederick Louis Phillips and Elizabeth Josephine Bushe.

Gertrude Isabelle Phillips

(25 March 1875 - )
     Gertrude Isabelle Phillips was born on 25 March 1875 in Queensland. She was the daughter of Clarence Alfred Phillips and Gertrude Laura Parker Bowles.

Henry Phillips

(15 November 1809 - before 1864)
     Henry Phillips was born on 15 November 1809. He was the son of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard. Henry Phillips was christened on 19 May 1811. He may be the Henry Phillips, son of James Phillips, gentleman, Highfield St, & Lydia Kelsey, born Nov 10 1809, baptised 19 May 1811 at St Peter's, Liverpool.
     Henry Phillips and Jane Phillips, William Thomas Phillips, Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips arrived with James Phillips and Lydia Ballard on 20 May 1822 at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Henry, Jane, William, Francis, Isabella, Alfred, Samuel and Charles were recorded as the children of James Phillips in the on 15 November 1828 census in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales.
     Henry was a clerk to the Bench in Paterson in 1836.
     Henry Phillips in Paterson sent a letter dated 22 May 1837 to Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips. Bona Vista, 22 May 1837: My dear Isabella, I am happy to inform you that I am recovering rapidly and shall for the future be more careful of myself. I will procure the musicks, mentioned in your letter from Emma. I have spoken to William about copying some for you but he says that if you play exactly as he writes it that it will be a sad jumble as he will not vouch for nay mistake of a few bars, however, it will not be perceived by the audience down here, as you know tha the loudest and quickest players are considered the best. I wish you would perform a few commissions for me while Papa is in Sydney, as you can go out with him and select the following articles, viz
1 neat brass bound writing desk
1 case of Morrells drawing pencils
1 musical snuff box which you can put in the writing desk and a flute whichyou may get Mr Hickey to select for you, the purchase of which I enclose £15/5/0 if more than sufficient you may procure any little thing that you consider I may require - O by the way (as Paddy says), don't forget to ask Frank to procure us the book he mentioned in his letter to Mau..ia
I remain dear Isabella, yours truly affectionate brother, H Phillips
He may be the Henry Phillips who was appointed trustee to the estate of Edward Sparke, sr at Sydney which was reported in the Maitland mercury 23 December 1843. An H Phillips was elected auditor of the Sydney Council on the same day. A Henry Phillips married Mary Weller in 1838 st St Luke's Liverpool.
     Henry died before 1864 in New South Wales.

Henry G Phillips

(1876 - )
     Henry G Phillips was born in 1876 in Armidale, New South Wales. He was the son of Francis Henry Phillips and Isabella Hare.

Isabel Windeyer Phillips

(1873 - )
     Isabel Windeyer Phillips was born in 1873 in Armidale, New South Wales. She was the daughter of Francis Henry Phillips and Isabella Hare.
Isabel Windeyer Phillips married Frederick St L Hayes in 1901 in Waverley district, New South Wales.

Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips

(21 February 1822 - 4 February 1848)
     Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips was born at sea on 21 February 1822 en route in the "Mary Ann". She was the daughter of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard.
     Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips and Henry Phillips, Jane Phillips, William Thomas Phillips and Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips arrived with James Phillips and Lydia Ballard on 20 May 1822 at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips was christened on 12 July 1823 in St Peter's, Campbelltown, New South Wales. Henry, Jane, William, Francis, Isabella, Alfred, Samuel and Charles were recorded as the children of James Phillips in the on 15 November 1828 census in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales.
     Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips received a letter from Henry Phillips dated 22 May 1837. Bona Vista, 22 May 1837: My dear Isabella, I am happy to inform you that I am recovering rapidly and shall for the future be more careful of myself. I will procure the musicks, mentioned in your letter from Emma. I have spoken to William about copying some for you but he says that if you play exactly as he writes it that it will be a sad jumble as he will not vouch for nay mistake of a few bars, however, it will not be perceived by the audience down here, as you know tha the loudest and quickest players are considered the best. I wish you would perform a few commissions for me while Papa is in Sydney, as you can go out with him and select the following articles, viz
1 neat brass bound writing desk
1 case of Morrells drawing pencils
1 musical snuff box which you can put in the writing desk and a flute whichyou may get Mr Hickey to select for you, the purchase of which I enclose £15/5/0 if more than sufficient you may procure any little thing that you consider I may require - O by the way (as Paddy says), don't forget to ask Frank to procure us the book he mentioned in his letter to Mau..ia
I remain dear Isabella, yours truly affectionate brother, H Phillips
Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips married David Sloan on 15 September 1840 in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales, Australia. By special license, on Tuesday, the 15th of September. at her father's residence, Bons Vista, by the Rev. Jennings Smith, A. M., Isabella Lydia Augusta, second daughter of James Phillips, Esq., to David Sloane, Esq., Surgeon, of West Maitland.
     Isabella died on 4 February 1848 in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, aged 25. At Newcastle, on the 4th Feb., after a severe illness, Isabella, wife of Dr. Sloan, of West Maitland, deeply lamented.. She was buried on 7 February 1848 in St Paul's, Paterson.

Children of Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips and David Sloan

James Phillips

(circa 1780 - 29 March 1851)
     James Phillips was born circa 1780. He was born about 1783 according to Army records, but 1775-1777 according to his tombstone.
James Phillips married Lydia Ballard circa 1808 in England. They probably married in late 1808 as their first child was born in November 1809. Her death certificate stated married in England.
James Phillips served in the military in the British Army from c.1811-1817. He was a Commissary clerk. The Commissariat were normally civilians but were subject to military discipline and wore uniform. A Commissary clerk was a non-commissioned rank but equivalent to an Ensign.
James Phillips joined the English Army in Spain on its retreat from Burgos c. 1812. On Nov 5 1812 he was appointed a Commissariat Clerk by Sir Robert H Kennedy & sent to Oporto for 3 months. From Feb 1813 to the peace in 1814 he took charge of depots on uppermost point of the Douro. His son William was born in Almeida on Dec 6 1813.
On 31 May 1814 James Phillips, Gent, was promoted to Deputy Assistant-Commissary-General to the Forces from Staff. Announced from War-Office July 2 1814, Page 1342 Issue number 16913 extracted from British Army Officer Promotions 1800-1815 on However this refers to the Canadian James Phillips.
In February 1815 he returned to England and was discharged as a clerk on the 17th. from 1812 to 1815 in Iberian Peninsula.
James Phillips served in the military On March 20 1815 he was re-appointed & sent to the Netherlands (Flanders). Volunteered and appointed to the charge of the 8th Brigade (4000 men) during their stay at Brussels - when accident attached him to the Brigade of Artillery at Waterloo. From May 7 (in France) he had charge of Brigade of Artillery until Jan 24 1816.
He claimed to be at the Duchess of Richmond's ball on June 15 1815 at Brussells according to family lore. Official correspondence reports that he lost his baggage at the Battle of Waterloo. On June 16 he joined Col Sir Hew Ross on the day, he marched from Perke. [See document dated 24 Oct 1821] from 1815 to 1816 in Flanders.
He wrote: Calais 10th Oct 1816; Sir, In reply to yours of the 3rd instant requesting I would give you a Testimonial of your conduct during the time you were cashier under my orders. I have great pleasure in stating that it could not have been more satisfactory in any respect. I also take this occasion to observe that Col Sir Hugh Ross has written and very often spoken to me of you in the highest terms possible, & particularly with regard to the very creditable manner in which you supplied your charge at the Battle of Waterloo, and upon the march towards Paris. I remain Sir, (signed) H Haines Dep Commissary General.
N.B. I was cashier under Dep. Comy. Genl. Haines in the Netherlands previously to the Battle of Waterloo, to the whole of the Commissariat attached to the Cavalry & Artillery amounting to upwards of 60 accountants.

He was discharged in France on June 13 1817. In Nov/Dec see letters requesting payment for horse. James was a clerk from 1818 to 1821, London. In 1818 he was Chief clerk at the Board of Inquiry into Customs & Excise, Cannon Row, Westminster. The position was terminated on 30 September 1821.
He received a letter from Walcot[e] near Lutterworth [Leicestershire], dated Nov 6 1819 - My dear Phillips, I am really very sincerely obliged by your last very kind letter and do feel how sincerely you fell for me in my present deserted situation. I have called on Mr A... at his country house near Wellingboro (?) but he was in Essex but fully expected to be in London on Monday next. I shall be in London on Wednesday next at the very latest, and shall certainly take advantage of the old woman's rooms at 5/- and of your 1200 fr. at 1 1/2 (?) I have much to tell you. With kindest remembrances to Mrs P, believe me, Ever yours.. Clement.
     James Phillips received a letter dated 6 December 1819. ... Clements of Walcot[e], near Lutterworth addressed 'My dear Phillips, I am really very sincerely obliged by your last very kind letter ... Wit kindest remembrances to Mrs P.
On 21 Aug 1821 he wrote: Earl Bathurst: My Lord, Being desirous to emigrate to the colony of NSW and possessing upwards of 500 pounds property, I have to request your Lordship will be pleased to order me a grant of land there. ...
On Sep 1 1821 he sent a letter to the Right Honourable Earl Bathurst - from - Office of Inquiry into the Customs & Excise, Cannon Row, Westminster - My Lord, I humbly presume to hope your Lordship will excuse the liberty I take in addressing you. With great deference I beg leave to state to your Lordship, that I have been employed in the service of Government in various responsible situations and places of trust for ten years; the last 4 years of which I have acted as Assistant Secretary to this board by the labours of the Commissioners are now drawing to a close, and my services will be dispensed with on the 30th instant, when I shall be deprived of a means of subsistence. I have therefore come to the determination of emigrating to the colony of New South Wales, before my present capital (not exceeding £500) shall be reduced, which, if judiciously employed there would be the means of enabling me to support my family (consisting of a wife and 5 children) with credit. I have taken the liberty of enclosing copies of various testimonials of my character and conduct (the originals of which are registered at the Treasury) for your Lordships perusal; trusting that from the manner in which I have conducted myself during such a length of service under Government, that your Lordship will have the goodness to order a free passage for myself and family to that colony, which I beg leave to assure your Lordship will ever be held in grateful remembrance by myself and family .... Jas Phillips. (Annotated - Give him a letter to the Gov. of NSW, return him his certificates ... him that concerning the testimonials given to his conduct when in office. Lord B. will if there should be room in a convict ship order him a passage he paying for his ...)
Sep 10 - To Earl Bathurst, addressed from the Office of Inquiry as above: My Lord, I had the honour of addressing a letter to your Lordship on the 3rd instant, transmitting to your Lordships inspection various documents and testimonials of my character and conduct during a period of ten years, in the service of Government. Having a large family entirely dependent upon me for support, makes me extremely anxious as I shall in a few days leave this Board without being provided with any other employment, and my small capital with which I intend, if possible to emigrate to NSW will be so far diminished as to totally prevent me from putting that plan into execution. As your Lordships benevolent kindness was extended to an unfortunate person of the name of Ward (with whom I was well acquainted) by ordering a free passage for himself, his wife and 6 children in 1819 to that colony, on board the Dromedary Store ship; I sincerely hope your Lordship will have the goodness to grant me the same indulgence, after your Lordship shall have satisfied yourself that I am equally deserving. I beg leave to state to your Lordship that I am known to the Rt. Honourable J C Villiers - the Rt. Honourable Berkley Paget, and many other gentlemen of the first respectability as well as the Members of this Board should your Lordship be pleased to require a further reference. Jas Phillips. (Annotated - there is no objection to his having the same indulgences as Mr Ward had - I thought Mr Barnard had explained to him the difficulty)..
James Phillips was granted land on 29 September 1821 in New South Wales, Australia, by Lord Bathurst.
On 29 Sep 1821 he was given a letter from Henry Goulburn, Downing St - Sir, This letter will be delivered to you by Mr James Phillips, who has received the permission of Earl Bathurst to proceed as a settler to New South Wales. The very satisfactory testimonials, which his Lordship has received of the character and respectability of this Gentleman, have induced his Lordship to give me directions to recommend him more particularly to your notice and protection; and I am therefore to desire that he may receive a Grant of Land, in proportion to his Capital with the usual indulgences of Convict Labour, and that you will promote as far as possible, consistently with the usual regulations, his views in proceeding to the Colony.
24 Oct 1821 He wrote from Mr Warrington's, 30 New Rd, Broomfield, Deptford (presumably the Master of the Mary Ann). My Lords, It is with extreme reluctance I again feel myself obliged to trouble your Lordships, but as I am debarred by your Lordships regulations from receiving that promotion in the Commissariat which I shall ever think I am deserved I still trust your Lordships sense of justice will not permit me to suffer such severe losses as I have experienced in the execution of my duty in the service of Government, without, in some measure, granting me remuneration. My sole reason for delaying til this time to solicit remuneration from your Lordships was the hop I always entertained of being rewarded in due time by your Lordships with my promotion.
I beg leave, My Lords, to enclose an account of such losses, with my remarks against each item, which I have attested before a Magistrate, leaving it to your Lordships justice to allow me the whole, or such part thereof as your Lordships may deem right. I cannot help. My Lords, again reverting to the services I have performed, and I beg leave, with great deference to lay before your Lordships a brief statement thereof to which I humbly solicit your Lordships attention.
I met the Army on the retreat from Burgos and arrived with it at Arevola in Spain, where I became acquainted with Deputy Assistant Commissary General Price who was in charge of a the depots there - As the enemy was in close pursuit, an order was given to destroy the magazine of forage, etc., to prevent its falling into the hands of the enemy - Mr Price was in extreme ill health and incapable of exertion - I volunteered that service, and executed it effectually, but at the risk of my life, as the French advance guard entered the town before I had time to quit it, and they pursued and fired at me till I gained the rear of the British Army.
On reaching Almeida the frontier town of Portugal a great number of sick and wounded had taken refuge, and as all the hospitals were full and the whole garrison in the utmost confusion, it was found necessary to remove the wounded etc., to Celerico - No one could be found or spared to take charge of this duty - I again volunteered my services to Deputy Commissary General Ogilvie, the senior officer there, which he gladly accepted - I was referred to the Governor (LeMesurier) for an escort - he gave me a Sergeant and two men, being all he could spare - with this weak escort I set off with nearly 300 sick and wounded, and about 80 Spanish muleteers - In the night myself and the three soldiers were attacked by the Muleteers and left senseless on the filed, and they deserted back into Spain with all the provisions - the soldiers who composed the escort were disabled by broken limos, and although I was severely injured yet I contrived to get all the sick and wounded to Celerico.
On my return to Almeida, I found Mr Price in charge of the depots there - and as the whole army was in Cantonments in that neighbourhood - it was supplied with forage, provisions and field equipment from those depots. As Mr Price's illness prevented him attending to his duty, the sole management of it was confided by him to me, and his accounts which were in arrear and in much confusion (occasioned by his illness and the rapid retreat of the army) were made up by me and transmitted to the Auditor of Accounts at Lisbon. That his accounts were approved I can only infer from the circumstances of his being soon afterwards rewarded by your Lordships with the rank of Assistant Commissary General.
After the above services I was in November 1812 appointed a Commissariat Clerk by Sir Robt H Kennedy, and was immediately afterwards placed in charge of the extensive depots at Oporto, where 250 men were employed in the numerous magazines under my orders - I continued there 3 months till relieved by Assistant Commissary General ... Remy - I was then ordered to take charge of some very extensive Depots on the uppermost point of the Duoro - some of those Depots were four leagues asunder to which I was under the necessity of attending regularly. These charges had never been confided to any person before me, under the rank of an Assistant Commissary General.
     In this unhealthy and laborious situation I continued till the peace in 1814 - and I cleared that and 4 other Depots before my departure - the certificate of the satisfactory state of my accounts is registered at the Treasury.
I arrived in England in February 1815 and the following month went through to Holland to join the army in the Netherlands - I first acted as cashier to 60 Commissariat Accountants attached the cavalry and artillery - but as I understood the Commissary General was in want of Commissaries for the field, I volunteered my services, and was appointed by him to the charge oaf the 8th Brigade (4000 men) - these I supplied during their stay at Brussels - when accident attached me to the Brigade of Artillery at Waterloo, how far I succeeded in executing my duties faithfully and satisfactorily your Lordships will judge from the documents to which I again humbly beg leave to refer your Lordships.
Your lordships are little aware of the hazardous and harassing duties of a Commissary in the field, but more especially in an Enemy's country - after the Battle of Waterloo I had to ride daily (at least 20 miles more than the army) across the country to secure forage and provisions against the arrival of the troops - many times I have marched the whole night to secure forage, having an escort of a Sergeant and twelve men under my orders, for whose conduct I was held responsible. Once in particular when on a foraging expedition we arrived late at night at the point fixed on and found that the army in our absence had received orders and marched forward. At this time we halted near the town of Ham without knowing that the French had left a garrison of 2000 men there - we were fired at but escaped to the army and secured the forage.
I was again fired at by the French Videttes in the Avenues of Neuilly before Paris surrendered, when out on a foraging expedition.
My subsequent services and conduct are so well known to your Lordships, that I need not trouble your Lordships with a recital.
I beg leave to state to your Lordships that I am now without any kind of employment, with a wife and six children to support - that it is my intention (if I am enabled through your Lordships goodness to do so) to emigrate with my family to NSW ...
This was accompanied by an account of the losses sustained by James Phillips, a Commissariat Clerk, in the executions of his duty from Nov 1812 to April 1817 - (extracts relating to his service from the remarks column) - He served 2 years and 3 months in the Peninsula Nov 1812 to 17 Feb 1815. He was reappointed 20 March and sent to Flanders and discharged on the 13 June 1817 in France. Thus served nearly four and a half years. He had charge of a Brigade of Artillery from 7 May 1815 to 24 Jan 1816. (Annotated with "Disposed of vide ... of 14th Dec - 6 Div on 23551 directing the issue of £30 to Mr Phillips out of Royal Bounty"),
An account of the losses sustained by James Phillips, a Commissariat Clerk, in the executions of his duty from November 1812 to April 1817.
The horse was purchased of Mr D. A. 0. G. Major for 200 dollars - and the mule for 100.
To the amount paid for a horse and mule and the necessary accoutrements. 300 dollars @ 4/6.     £84.0.
Amount of loss
It is well known that during the war, and towards the close     of it, horses or mules could not be purchased out at very high prices - But when the war had terminated, both in the Peninsula and in France,
Officers and others were obliged to sell them for a mere trifle.
Sold the whole for £14.8.0.
Received allowance from Government by the hands of Sir R.H. Kennedy in 1618
     £11.5. 0.
     Leaving £58.7.0
In France
N.B. One horse was delivered up by me to D.A.C. Gen. Turner and although he neglected to furnish me with a receipt I find he has given credit for it in his public accounts in January 1816.
Purchased two horses and accoutrements for £112.10.0.
Sold the whole for £33.0.0.
Received from Government. £25.0.0.
£58.0. leaving
The loss of my Baggage at Waterloo as sworn to by me was £92.0.0.
Received from Government £42.3.6.
I received the first gratuity of 8 months, pay at 10/- per day - but when I received the second it was paid to me 12 months - at 7/6 per day only although I repaid the first by serving 8 months, without pay, and was in charge the whole time, I never knew that my pay was to be reduced to 7/6 per day in France from May 1815 to till after I had repaid the first gratuity by servitude - nor was it even hinted to me by any person.
Loss on the difference of the amount of pay in receiving the last gratuity.
To the amount of an allowance for shoeing two public horses and an allowance for a servant during the time of my service in France from May 1815 to July 1816 never before claimed by me:
(servant @ 4/6 per week £13. 10.
     horse     --3. 3. £16. 13.


Amounting together to the sum of two hundred and twenty pounds three shillings and six pence.
I James Phillips do swear that the above stated account is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and that the losses above stated have been actually incurred by me in the service of Government.
Jas. Phillips.
Examined computations and additions-..........     [illegible]
Sworn at the Public Office Queen Square, Westminster this, 25th day of October 1821 before me: Wm A.A. White.
Mr Phillips by his letter of 24th Oct. 1821      20,101
1st Loss on purchase and resale of a horse and mule, with .... in 1817 - £58.7.
No. -97- showing allowance recommended by Kennedy £4.1.
paid vide letter to Sir R. K.
This is the first time Mr Phillips has brought forward the claim in this shape. On the 11th Nov. 1817 he applied to the Treasury for the allowance which had been generally granted to Clerks for the purchase of a horse in the Peninsula, viz. £10 - the claim was referred to Sir Robt. Kennedy and in consequence of his report... 1370/10; the sum of £11.5. was paid to Mr Phillips in discharge of his claim.
2ndly, Loss on purchase and resale of two horses etc., in France, viz: Purchased 2 horses and accoutrements for £112.10.
Sold the whole for £33.
Recd. from Government. £25
Loss £ 4.10.

Mr Phillips was allowed £25 as a compensation for a second horse /vide, Report from Com. Gen. Dunmore 23,800/17. A first horse having been furnished to him by the public - but Mr Phillips purchased two horses in addition to the one provided for him, and I know of no instance where compensation has been granted to a Clerk for a third horse.
3rdly. Loss of his baggage at Waterloo, valued at £92.
Rec. from Government: £42.3.6.
Loss £49.16.6.
This claim has been already under the consideration of the Board of General Officers and Inconformity with their award the sum of £42.3.6. was paid to Mr Phillips in discharge of his claim.
4thly. Loss in the difference of pay in receiving the last gratuity, which he states at £45. Being the difference between 10/- and 7/6 on a twelve month gratuity. Mr Phillips was first appointed to a Clerkship by Sir Robt. Kennedy in the Peninsula in the November 1812 and he was discharged in London on the 17th February 1815. In this service of 2 years and 3 months he was allowed a gratuity of 8 months pay at 10/- per diem, which rate of pay he had for some time received as an Accountant - He was re-appointed on the 20th of March following and sent to Flanders, with notice to Com. Gen. that he would not be entitled to pay until the 10th October 1815 (the date to which his gratuity extended) and then at the rate of 7/6 per day - He was finally     discharged on the 13th June 1817 in France, with a gratuity of 12 months pay at 7/6 and a further item of 1 months pay and £10 for travelling expenses to return to England.
It appears that he served in the whole, nearly 4 years and a half, and was therefore eligible for a gratuity of 12 months pay (which was allowed after 4 years service).
His first gratuity was issued at 10/- in consequence of his having a duty which gave him a title to that rate of pay - but he was re-appointed at 7/6, the rate given to all similarly circumstanced, on their being re-appointed. In this view of the case he held pay at 10/- per diem from the 20th March to the 17th Oct. 1815 during which period he was entitled to 7/6 only - as was not called upon to refund the extra 2/6 per diem for this period
It does not appear that he has a good claim to be allowed 10/- per diem for any portion of the 12 months for which he has received gratuity at the rate of 7/6 per diem.
It appears however that Mr Phillips had charge of a Brigade of Artillery from the 7th May 1815 to the 24th January 1816 and he was consequently entitled to pay at the rate of 10/- per diem during this period, reverting to 7/6 when this duty ceased - If therefore he did not actually receive an extra 2/6 per diem from Mr Dunmore from the 7th May to the 17th October 1815, he has an equitable claim to so much in addition to his gratuity at 7/6 : viz: 164 days at 2/6

5thly Amount of an allowance for shoeing two public horses and an allowance for a servant during the time of his service in France, from May 1815 to July 1816, never before claimed by him and stated at £12.10.
He has already received £25 for a second horse which sum is intended also to cover the contingent expenses of such second horse. With respect to the shoeing of one horse and the allowance for a servant we have no means of judging the propriety of his claim without previous reference to Mr Dunmore
Sir, On considering my present state, and what it is likely to be on the voyage to New S. Wales, I am obliged again to trouble you and to request you will have the goodness to lay my letter before Lord Bathurst, who I understand is in the office at present, and his Lordship being already acquainted with my case, upon knowing my present difficulty will I have no doubt grant my request - and this act of yours will ever oblige.
Your most obedient servant,
J. Phillips.
Late Chief Clerk at the Board of Inquiry into Customs Etc.
P.S. If I could have borrowed a sufficient sum to lay in more stock I should have been so importunate, but which I hope you will excuse.
It I should be so fortunate as to obtain the order, Tuesday will not be too late if it is sent to Captain Young.
Henry Goulburn Esq., M.P.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Sir, Having purchased a thrashing machine and other agricultural Implements to take out with me to New South Wales, the person from whom I purchased them informs me that he experiences, a difficulty in getting them passed the Custom House without an order from you for them to be shipped - and as they wish them to be sent on board immediately to be properly stowed, I shall feel particularly obliged If you will have the kindness to let such order be sent to Mr J. Hill, No. 422 Oxford Street (who is the person of whom I purchased them) at your earliest convenience.
I have the honour to be sir your obliged and very obedient, humble servant,
Jas. Phillips.
on board the 'Mary Ann' convict ship, Woolwich.
1st December 1821
To Henry Goulburn Esq. M.P., Etc. Etc.

To the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of His Majesty's Treasury Etc, Etc, Etc,
The humble petition of James Phillips
Sheweth [in margin: 6 years Comm. 4 years Service]
That Memorialist In the month of September last was discharged from the Board of Inquiry into Customs after serving the Government ten years, without being able to obtain any further employment for the support of his numerous family.
That the only prospect which presented itself to Memorialist was for him to emigrate with his family to the Colony of New South Wales.
That Memorialist made application to and was favoured by the Right Honourable Lord Bathurst with a free passage on the condition that Memorialist was to provision his family for the voyage.
That Memorialist in consequence of his being so long out of employment, and his being obliged to wait so long for the ship's sailing, is reduced to the greatest distress, and is totally unable to provide even the common necessaries of life for so long a voyage.
That Memorialist has four children on board with him and his wife now in the eighth month of her pregnancy.
That he has already been under the necessity of disposing of sundry articles indispensably necessary for the use of his family, to enable them to exist.
That in consequence of the inability of Memorialist to lay in the necessary stock for the voyage, he will be under the necessity of disembarking, with his, helpless family, unless by your Lordships humanity he should be relieved from the misery which threatens him.
That Memorialist humbly presumes to hope, that as the Government has given the indulgences to several on board this ship under the denomination of free passengers, by not only granting them a passage, but providing them with every necessary during the voyage, that your Lordships goodness will be extended to Memorialist In allowing him a small sum so as to place him on an equal footing with those receiving such indulgence.
That as the ship will be ready for sea the beginning of the next week, Memorialist humbly solicits that your Lordships will have the kindness to take his distressed case into your favourable consideration - the disposition which your Lordships have always manifested to relieve the distressed, permits Memorialist still to hope that your Lordships will not permit him to lose his, passage for the want of a very small sum to enable his family to exist during the voyage only.
That should your Lordships humanity be extended to Memorialist, so as to enable him to proceed on the voyage, Memorialist and his family will ever pray.
Memorialist humbly solicits that your Lordships will be pleased to favour him with an early reply, and that your Lordships will also be pleased to depute some person to enquire into his distressed condition.
Jas. Phillips
on board the Mary Ann Convict Ship off Woolwich, 5th December 1821

James. Phillips praying some pecuniary relief towards the support of himself and family on their voyage as settlers to N.S.W.
No. 23551
Reg. 12th Dec. 1821
Read. 14th Dec. 1821 6 Div.
Mr Cotton to pay £30.

Sir, Circumstanced as I am at present, I take the liberty of addressing you, in the hope of obtaining your assistance - upwards of two months ago I was favoured by my Lord Bathurst with an order for a passage on board the 'Mary Ann' convict ship, I went on board at the time with as much stock as I considered necessary, and as my finances would admit of - we having been lying in the River ever since in consequence of which my stock is much diminished, without my having the means of purchasing more, and as the ship will sail on Monday morning my prospects are gloomy on considering the length of the voyage - under the peculiar circumstances of my case, and the length of my services under Government, the testimonials of which appeared perfectly satisfactory to Mr Goulbourn and, Lord Bathurst, I humbly presume to hope that you will have the goodness to grant me an order for rations- for myself, my wife and four children on board that ship - and as a similar indulgence is given to even the relations of convicts, I trust the same will be extended to me - I have no doubt had Mr Wilmot been at the office today but he would have immediately granted the order, as he is, in a great measure, acquainted with my past services - waiting your reply,
I remain, sir, your very obedient, humble servant
Jas. Phillips.

A. Gordon Esq. Etc. Etc. Etc.

     James Phillips and Lydia Ballard arrived per "Mary Ann" on 20 May 1822 at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The "Mary Ann" (474 tons) was built in Batavia of teak, and was owned by Parker & Co., registered in London. The ship's voyage began in Gravesend on the 27 October 1821. On Dec 5th 1821 Lydia was in the eighth month of pregnancy and had 4 children on board with them. There are several letters written in Dec 1821 at the PRO stating that he has purchased a thrashing machine and other agricultural implements to take to NSW, that he has 4 children on board and his wife is in the eighth month of pregnancy, having been out of work for so long and being obliged to wait so long for the ships sailing requests provisions.
They sailed 25 Dec 1821 from Portsmouth via Rio for 128 days under Captain Warrington. 108 females embarked, no males. 1 death, landed 62 at Sydney, 45 at Hobart. They arrived at Sydney 20 May 1822, 416 tons, 38 men, Henry master, Warrington - owner. (40 female prisoners landed Hobart, 62, 12 children at Sydney). Free passengers were Mr Ass. Surgeon Moran & Mr & Mrs Phillips and 5 children together with 12 steerage passengers and 24 children.
James Hall (the Surgeon Superintendent) wrote in his journal that the passage was quite rough, consequently the surgeon's journal is long and filled with notes on the treatment handed out to the mostly seasick convicts. There is no mention of the Phillips family in his journal, although " Die Lune 3: M Taylor & A Phillips, obstetrics..
On May 29 1822 James Phillips, free settler, Sydney was requested to furnish a statement of the number of convicts he could support off the stores for a grant of land in proportion to his means; Reply - ... my means enable me to take 20 men permanently off the store and I have the honor to request that the same indulgences may be granted to me as are allowed to others possessing a similar capital; to be made a grant of 2000 acres of land in any part of the Colony already surveyed, & he and his family will be victualled from the Kings stores for 6 months from the date of your taking possession of your said land, and six convicts assigned to him. May 30, He was granted permission to proceed to Newcastle on the "Elizabeth Henrietta".
A letter from F Goulburn, Colonial Secretary dated 30 May 1822: Sir, I am directed by His Excellencey Sir Thomas Brisbane to inform you in reply to your letter of the present date that he will make you a grant of two thousand (2000) acres of land, in any part of the Colony which is surveyed, and will order six convict servants to be assigned to you who with yourself adn family will be victualled from the Kings stroes fir six months fromt he date of your taking pssession of your said land..
From July 24 1822 to September 10 1824 he was on the list of persons receiving an assigned convict.
     James Phillips travelled to Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, after 22 July 1822. He was allowed a passage on a government vessel proceeding to Newcastle, with 7 men.
Letter from Jas Phillips dated 12 August 1822 to the Colonial Secretary: Orphan School Parramatta 13 Aug 1822. Sir, I beg leave to inform you that I have brought out from England a portable thrashing machine with six se..vers with which .... completes. Also 2 spare pinions, two pair of extra brasses, and two universal joints for the same - and as I now discover that I shall not have occasion for it at least for 2 or 3 years, I therefore wish to dispose of it, and have the honour to request you will have the goodness to mention it to His Excellency Sir Thomas Brisbane, if you think it will answer for the purposes of Government. The price is two hundred guineas and I shall have no objection to take one half of that sum in young cattle, or if more convenient to you, I shall not refuse taking the whole in cattle. A reply at your earliest convenience will be esteemed. I have the honour to be Sir, your most obedient and humble servant Jas. Phillips. Cover note - Treasury bill Ninety pounds, Mechanics, Warrant for $180, Cedar, Carpenter.

. He was mentioned in a letter from Lydia Ballard dated 15 August 1822. Lydia Phillips to the Colonial Secretary. Sir, In understanding that a vacancy has lately occurred in your Office, in consequence of the resignation of the Assistant Secretary Mr Atkinson, I have taken the liberty to solicit your kind interference with his Excellency the Governor to have Mr Phillips appointed to the situation. Hoping the strong testimonials he has received from those under whom he has had the honor to serve and his having been so many years accustomed to duty of that nature and likewise the strong recommendations to the protection of his Excellency and yourself may influence you in his behalf - I hope you will pardon the liberty I am taking in addressing you. Mr Phillips being at present at the Coal River consequently can't have the honor of waiting on you himself to ask the favour and the anxiety I feel for the welfare of a young & helpless family has induced me thus to trouble you, which if you will be pleased to take into your favourable consideration will confer a lasting obligation on myself and family ...... Lydia Phillips, Orphan House, Parramatta Aug 15 1822. .
The Colonial Secretary's correspondence files show that on Sep 10 1822 - Mr Phillips, free settler, his wife, 5 children and 6 convict servants were to be victualled from the stores at Newcastle for 6 months. On Sep 16, 19 - Permitted to proceed to Newcastle per "Elizabeth Henrietta" with one government servant. Sep 18 - Re freight charges for articles to be shipped - " 1 hen coop, 2 G.... stores, 2 baskets grass?, servants chest, 2 baskets trees?, six hundred ...., three small cases, one portmanteau, one boat, one jar oil. Sep 30 - of Newcastle, on lists of persons to whom convict mechanics have been assigned. Oct 7 - Re permission for his assigned convict, Robert Johnson to travel to Newcastle.
In 1823 there is considerable correspondence from him in the Colonial Secretary's letters: Mar 4 - Paid from the Colonial fund for a threshing machine; c. June - On account of maize due from settlers on banks of Hunters River to the Government at Newcastle, from 1 Apr 1822 to 31 May 1823. Jul 5 - on return of horned cattle issued from the Government herds between 22 Aug 1819 and 27 Dec 1823; 20 cows issued to from the Government herd. Aug 14 Elizabeth O'Donald assigned to James Phillips from the Female Orphan Institution. 27 August - draft or unsent letter to Gov. Brisbane from the Female Orphan School, Parramatta - departing tomorrow for the Coal River, asking for some powder for preserving birds. Nov 12 Application to the Female Orphan Institution; Dec 20 - Of Hunters River. Re lease for vacant allotment at Newcastle.
James Phillips was granted land on 30 June 1823 in Paterson, New South Wales. Title to Crown grant of 2090 acres in the co. of Durham and townships of Wolfingham & Middlehope (serial no.18 page 126) granted to James Phillips 30 June 1823.
     James Phillips in Parramatta, New South Wales, sent a letter dated 27 August 1823. F A/O School. Dear Sir
I fully intended during my limited stay here, to have done myself the pleaure of paying my respects to you, and Lady Brisbane, but (having arrived late last night - crossed out) arriving late last evening, unwell and obliged to be in Sydney to night to go on board the vessel which will sail early tomorrow for the Coal river, robs me of the anticipted gratification - let me pray of you not to attribute this, and I most respectfully hope her ladyship will not, to an unworthy neglect, which would indeed illl become ... I have therefore to offer my most grateful acknowledgments for the kind attentions I have been honored with from you and to request you will do me the fvout present my respectful compliments to Lady Brisbane.
You were so kind to say some time ago that you would oblige me with a little powder used for preserving birds; if you can without inconvenience do so by .... it should know how to place a value on the obligation.
In wishing you, and your distinguished family all the health you can hope for
Believe me, J----
James Phillips requests that unappropriated land next Mr Duns be granted to his eldest son now in his 15th year, 8 March 1824. Refused 29 March 1824..
In 1824 he corresponded with the Colonial Secretary: Mar 8 - Of Pattersons Plains. Memorial on behalf of his eldest son in his 15th year, requested 4-500 acres directly opposite his farm; reply 29 Mar Refused - sons of settlers who have themselves received grants of the first class are ineligible. On Mar 20 - Paterson Plains. Re convict mechanics and asking to be permitted to pay sum he owes Government in wheat & corn. Reply 8 May. c. April - On list of defaulters in payment for assigned convict mechanics for the quarters ending 31 Dec 1823 and 31 Mar 1824. Apr. Jun. - Re punishment of his Government servants at Newcastle. 28 June - Signatory to petition supporting conduct of Capt. Gillman. Nov 1824 & Jan, Mar. 1825 - Re punishment of his Govt. servants at Newcastle. Nov 6 1824 On return of Newcastle town allotments..
     James Phillips and Lydia Phillips were recorded in 1825 census in Newcastle, New South Wales. James Phillips, settler, Newcastle, arrived on the Mary Ann in 1822 with his wife Lydia and children Henry, Jane, Thomas, Francie H & Isabella, all came free.
In 1825 he was mentioned in the Colonial Secretary's correspondence: 28 January 1825 - Grant in favour of transmitted to Oxley; Apr 12 - Requesting that a Govt. carpenter be assigned to him in lieu of Charles Watkins; Reply 2 Jun; May 11 - Re return of assigned convict to Govt. service; May 22 - Requesting more assigned servants since six of his bonded servants had absconded from his service; Jun 29 - Requesting that his two bonded servants at present in Sydney Gaol, be returned to his service; Oct 3 - Memorial for grant of land for his son who had just left school, he being of a sufficient age to manage a farm for himself. Refused; Dec 10, 16 - requests 6 convict servants to help work his farm. James Phillips was mentioned in a letter dated 26 January 1826. A letter from the painter Augustus Earl to Lydia mentions their mutual friend Mrs Ward, James Phillips had been away while Earl stayed at Bona Vista, he presents his compliments to Miss Phillips. He arrived per Cyprus in 1825 and was in Sydney by 31 Oct 1825. He left Sydney for NZ in 1827.. He served on a jury in August 1826 in Newcastle, NSW.
In 1827 after surveying, a plan of the sub-division of Kings Town in Newcastle was published and James Phillips was one of the 192 leaseholders #131.
     James Phillips and Lydia Ballard were recorded on 15 November 1828 census in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales. James Phillips 48, Lydia 38, Henry 19, Jane 17, William Thomas 15, Frank Henry Fortunat 11, Isabella Lydia Augusta 7, Alfred William 4, Samuel James 2, infant boy 3 days, at Bona Vista, Durham. Protestants. All except the latter three who were born in the colony, came free in 1822. James Phillips was employer of Thomas Phillips labourer, aged 21, free, who arrived in the "Mangles" in 1827, Patrick Brennan 27, Thomas Briant 18, William Briggs 70, Charles Fowler 29, Ann Kennedy 13, Roger Mcnamara 46, Henry Singer 45 & others. He held 2090 acres, 180 cultivated, 300 cleared with 200 cattle, 5 horses, 1000 sheep.
In 1829 "To Let for a term of years, a valuable farm, situated within 25 miles of Newcastle on the banks of the Hunter's Rivers. The run for cattle is unequalled in the District and watered in the driest season admitting a vessel of 50 tons alongside the wharf. A small herd of cattle will be given in with working Bullocks and all kinds of agricultural tools etc. Application to be made or addressed to the "Gazette Office" for particulars or to James Phillips, esq. Hunter's River. .
On July 7 he was signatory of an address from landholders in the district of the Hunter River in the support of the Lt Gen. Ralph Darling
     James Phillips mortgaged property on 6 January 1831 in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales. 2090 acres were mortgaged to Caleb & Felix Wilson of Sydney for £600.
In 1831 he applied for 37 convicts, received 12.
James Phillips and Lydia Ballard witnessed John Skottowe Parker and Jane Phillips's wedding on 21 August 1831 in Christ Church, Newcastle.
     Lydia Ballard made a will dated 3 February 1832. Mentioned in surviving codicil.
In 1833 he applied for 27 convicts and received 18.
In November 1835 the architect John Verge submitted an account to Captain James Phillips of "Bona Vista" - "To plans in pencil for a Public House at Patterson's River - £2". In Dec 1838 the account was settled by two gallons of rum and 6/- in cash. It stood on the left-hand side of the road from Maitland to Paterson, set well back on high ground surrounded by extensive gardens planted with trees and shrubs. The building was of two storeys, built of sandstone quarried about a mile away. As usual the bricks were made on the site. The choicest local cedar was used for the joinery... In December 1840, at the direction of James Phillips, Esq., the respected owner, Mr Stubbs was empowered to sell by auction "All that lucrative establishment known as the Paterson Hotel, now in full trade and turning a business of at least £10,000 p.a. It consists of a remarkably well built building of a superior order of architecture finished in an elegant and substantial style and containing on the ground floor five lofty rooms one of which is fitted up as a bar room with counter and shelves complete. The upper floor which is approached by a winding stone staircase (which alone cost two hundred pounds) contains also five neatly finished bedrooms with a balcony enclosed by iron palisading of exquisite design and taste". Further particulars of the building follow, and reference is made to "a rich and beautifully diversified view" also to the fact that "the high road from Maitland to Dungog ... William's and Manning Rivers, Port Macquarie, Port Stevens, etc. passes the door..." It later became Keppie's "Brooklyn Arms".
On 9 Dec 1840 the sale by auction of the Paterson Hotel was advertised by direction of James Phillips, Esq, the respected owner.
In March 1841 James Phillips sold property in Paterson, NSW. In March 1841, Felix Wilson, his neighbour at "Tocal", purchased 8 blocks of land from James Phillips for £2215.10.0. One of these parcels contained an area of three acres, two roods, sixteen perches, bounded on three sides Sloan, Main and Victoria Streets, and on the east side by certain allotments: the building known by the sign of the "Paterson Hotel". [C Mitchell p.148].
     March 29 & 30, mortgage registered (bk.V no. 656) from James Phillips to David William Jamieson & George Cooper Turner, consideration £3000; August 12 & 13 - assignment of mortgage debt, interest of Jamieson to Turner (Bk.Y no. 197).
     James Phillips travelled to Sydney, New South Wales, in May 1842 per the "Jane Goudie". He was described as Mr Jas Phillips and departed from Liverpool on 26 Dec 1841.
     James Phillips made a will dated 23 August 1842 in Paterson, NSW. On February 3 1836 he made his last will and testament, but only the 1842 codicil survived wherein he left his allotment in Newcastle and additional land acquired in Paterson to his wife during her life then to be divided between all his living children. He also revokes his former executors and appoints his son Francis & David Sloan & his wife as executors.
James and his sons Alfred, Francis H F, Henry & William signed a farewell address to Major Johnstone, Police Magistrate which was reported in the Maitland Mercury 21 January 1843. The Maitland mercury reported on 4 March 1843 that James Phillips called a meeting to hear candidate for election to the Legislative Council at Hinton? and on 11 March at Gresford. On the 25 March it was reported that he agreed to become a committeeman for Richard Windeyer's political campaign and was at the meeting of his supporters at the Victoria Hotel, Hinton.. He commenced a new tobacco manufactory in August 1844. James was Post Master in 1847, in Paterson.
On Jan 24 1848 - Bona Vista Lots 30, 31, 33-35: assignment of, inter alia, mortgage to Wm Todd (trustee for G C Turner & Oswald Bloxsome). Reg. book 14 no. 965..
Jan 1 1849 - Lease for 7 years from Turner & Bloxsome to J Phillips of Bona Vista & Alfred W Phillips of Bona Vista of 2090 acres (except those parts sold by J Phillips to Felix Wilson and others prior to March 1841). Yearly rental £100.
     June 23 Maitland Mercury - a new tobacco manufactury established, Messrs Phillips of Bona Vista mentioned.
     June 26 Maitland Mercury - Phillips tobacco factory broken into. Reward offered by Mr Phillips.
March 30 1850, Conveyance Lots 30, 31, 33-35 to Wm Todd (trustee for Oswald Bloxsome & Thomas Iceton): apparently unregistered
     James died on 29 March 1851 in Paterson, New South Wales. At his residence Bona Vista, Paterson, on the 29th March, Mr James Phillips aged 75 years, a resident in the colony for 28 years, deeply regretted by a numerous circle of relatives and friends. He was buried on 31 March 1851 in St Paul's, Paterson.
     The administration of his estate was granted on 1 June 1852 at New South Wales.

Children of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard

James Phillips

(10 April 1861 - before 1862)
     James Phillips was born on 10 April 1861 in Kangiaroo, Yass, New South Wales. He was the son of Edward Augustus Phillips and Ellen Besnard.
     James died before 1862.

James Phillips

(circa 1834 - 24 August 1918)
     James Phillips was born circa 1834 in Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales.
Margaret Gordon Smith married secondly James Phillips on 3 December 1872 in Carisbrook, Victoria.
     James died on 24 August 1918 in Melbourne Benevolent Asylum, Cheltenham, Victoria.

James William Phillips

(5 May 1846 - 13 October 1920)
     James William Phillips was born on 5 May 1846 in Paterson, New South Wales. He was the son of William Thomas Phillips and Mary Anne Lyons. James William Phillips was christened on 15 June 1846 in Paterson.
James William Phillips married Annie Hanlon on 25 November 1867 in Donnybrook, Maranoa, Queensland. They married on 25th November 1867 according to later birth certificates.
James and Annie appear to have had 13 children, although there is some confusion about the first three.
Mabel Alice ( IGI) is said to have been born at ‘Dykehead Station’ in Dec 1869 /70 although there does not appear to be birth registration this. There is a ‘Dykehead Station’ listed west of Maryborough, near Mundubberra. She married James William Thygesen 6th June 1887 at ‘Bona Vista’ Walla and died 21 Jan 1943.
Mary Ann is registered as born at ‘Jindah’ 25 Dec 1870, there does not appear to be any further information re Mary Ann. This appears to be in the same area as ‘Dykehead Station’, is it possible that Mary Ann and Mabel Alice are one and the same?
This appears to be in the same area as ‘Dykehead Station’, is it possible that Mary Ann and Mabel Alice are one and the same?
May Lydia Phillips does not appear to have birth registration either, but is said to have been born 27 November 1871 in Maryborough. At the time of her marriage to John Charles Wood she was said to be ‘the second daughter of J W Phillips Esq’.
Other children of James William and Annie were:
William James b 29 Nov 1872 d 25 November 1875
Effie Isabel b30 October 1874 d 20 February 1876
Alfred James b 8 September 1876 m Charlotte Bridget Simcock 29 April 1908
Un-named female b15 May 1878. This is probably Catherine Isabella (Kitty) who married Daniel Joseph O’Regan 24 May 1905.
Bridget Maude (Maude) b 4 May 1880 m 1 John Henry Hendy 27 September 1905
2 Alexander O’Connel 1950, d October 1961
Virgil Lyons b 1 May 1882 m Christina Irwin 30 April 1913
William Percival b 19 May 1884 d 8 Feb 1885
Edward John b 11 February 1886 d 8 Jul 1886
Annie b 4 March 1887 m Charles James McWalters 15 February 1911
Margaret Phillips b 8 March d 28 March 1889.
Mary Anne Phillips was registered as born at ‘Jindah’which appears to be a property or locality on the Mary River west of Maryborough.
He was also listed as a landholder and publican .
He purchased a property ‘BonaVista’ at Walla 1883 and later resided there.
Mabel Alice (IGI) was married at ‘Bona Vista’ in 1887 and Margaret was born there in 1888. I believe there is a gravestone for her on the property which would suggest they still lived there when she died in March 1889.
In 1897, at the time of May Lydia’s marriage the family home was ‘ ‘Cuba Plantation’ Burnett River’, and James William was described as a sugar planter. ‘Cuba’ in 1988, had been described as having 70 acres under cane, under a prior owner.
A JW Phillips was the licensee of the ‘Doolbi’ hotel in Childers from 1898 to1904.
I am not sure if this is our James William. In June 1905, James William became the licensee of the ‘ Railway Hotel’ in Bundaberg and held the license June 1912.
In other notes it also says that he was the licensee of the ‘North Bundaberg Hotel’ in 1918 and that he owned Phillips Cordials which was managed by his son Virgil. ( B’berg and District Pioneers)
James seems to have started off working as a general labourer/station hand or timber getter when he moved to Queensland as a young man. .
‘Donnybrook’ was both a station and a ‘town reserve’ about ‘32miles north’ of Mitchell. It was in an area that became heavily infested with prickly pear causing the leasehold to be resumed by the Government, returning to pastoral usage in 1930’s, under strict conditions. In early 1871, on Mary Anne’s birth certificate, James William is described as a contractor, Central Sugar Factory. This may have been the Isis Mill at Childers
     James died after a lengthy illness aged 74 on 13 October 1920 in Bundaberg, Queensland, aged 74.

Children of James William Phillips and Annie Hanlon

Jane Phillips

(14 April 1811 - 3 January 1856)
     Jane Phillips was born on 14 April 1811. She may be the Jane Phillips born 14 April, baptised 19 May 1811, daughter of James Phillips, gentleman, Highfield St & Lydia formerly Kelsey his wife, along with Henry, born 10 Nov 1809, son of ditto, at St Peter, Liverpool. She was the daughter of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard.
     Jane Phillips and Henry Phillips, William Thomas Phillips, Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and Isabella Lydia Augusta Phillips arrived with James Phillips and Lydia Ballard on 20 May 1822 at Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
In 1824 Jane was at Reddalls, Smeeton Villa. [letter] In 1845 she was mentioned in a letter from her mother to Mrs Frankland. Henry, Jane, William, Francis, Isabella, Alfred, Samuel and Charles were recorded as the children of James Phillips in the on 15 November 1828 census in 'Bona Vista', Paterson, New South Wales.
Jane Phillips married John Skottowe Parker, son of Richard Neville Parker and Margaret Skottowe, on 21 August 1831 in Christ Church, Newcastle. John Skottowe Parker, Bachelor aged 26 of Moreton Bay & Jane Phillips, spinster aged 20 of the parish of Middlehope married by licence with consent of parents 23 Aug 1831. In presence of Lydia Phillips, Middlehope, Jas Phillips, Middlehope, Frederick Garling of Sydney.
September 29 1831 - Order for grant of 640 acres as marriage portion to Miss Phillips daughter of a settler on Hunter River, married subsequently to the 1st July 1831; refused in 1832.
In 1834 she applied to join her husband who was Superintendent of Agriculture at Moreton Bay accompanied by her young brother.
     Jane Phillips and John Skottowe Parker travelled in February 1846 per the "The Matiland Mercury on 25 Feb l 1846 reported that Mr & Mrs Parker & 4 children were passenger about ship 'St George', departure ex Sydney to London".
     Jane died on 3 January 1856 in 'Rose Cottage', Morpeth, New South Wales, aged 44.

Children of Jane Phillips and John Skottowe Parker

Jane Phillips

(circa 1690 - )
     Jane Phillips was born circa 1690. She was the daughter of Capt Chichester Phillips and Sarah Handcock.
Jane Phillips married Richard Blackbourne.

Children of Jane Phillips and Richard Blackbourne

John Henry Phillips

(17 September 1872 - 1918)
     John Henry Phillips was born on 17 September 1872 in Kangiaroo, New South Wales. He was the son of Edward Augustus Phillips and Ellen Besnard.
     John died in 1918 in Hurstville, New South Wales.

John Wade Phillips

(12 May 1904 - 1979)
     John Wade Phillips was born on 12 May 1904 in Brisbane, Queensland. He is probably the 'Jack' remembered by Charles Phillips. He was the son of Frederick Louis Phillips and Elizabeth Josephine Bushe.
     John died in 1979 in Queensland. See:

Josephine Hunter Phillips

(4 June 1901 - )
     Josephine Hunter Phillips was also known as Jocie Phillips in records.
Ludlow, Peter: Moreton Bay People - The Complete Collection, 2000. Edited from recollections by Frederick Clarence (Clarrie) Phillips in 1980.
Josephine Hunter Phillips was the second eldest daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth Phillips and she was born on the 4 June 1901. Unfortunately, she developed polio when she was three years old. The family was told that salt water would be most beneficial for her (no vaccine was yet available) so Frederick took his family to King Island, just off Wellington Point. Today the island is quite small and is not habitable,
but according to Clarrie, the eldest son, in 1904, it was about twice the size it is today with numerous large trees as well as mangroves. The family erected marquees/tents for sleeping, eating and cooking. Even the maid had her own tent! They caught their own food – mainly fish and oysters and fresh water was brought over from the mainland using the causeway, from Wellington Point, at low tide. Frederick, who was a bank manager at this time, left the island early in the morning to catch the train from Wellington Point to the city and returned around 6pm. Elizabeth, his wife, on her own with five young children for most of the time, ran the household in difficult circumstances but, according to Clarrie, she never complained.
The Phillips family lived an idyllic life on King Island until April 1906 when they moved back to Fortitude Valley. Sadly, Frederick was to die a sudden death in 1907 and in 1916, Cyril Alfred, the second eldest son died of illness in a military hospital in England. Josephine Hunter Phillips raised her niece following the death of her sister, Leila, in 1925. She never married and lived to be 85 years old.
. She was born on 4 June 1901 in Brisbane, Queensland. She is probably the Jocie remembered by Charles Phillips. She was the daughter of Frederick Louis Phillips and Elizabeth Josephine Bushe.

Julian Arthur Phillips

(13 August 1881 - )
     Julian Arthur Phillips was born on 13 August 1881 in Queensland. He was the son of Clarence Alfred Phillips and Gertrude Laura Parker Bowles.

Julian M Phillips

(16 October 1844 - before 1856?)
     Julian M Phillips was born on 16 October 1844 in Clarence River, New South Wales. He was the son of Francis Henry Fortunatus Phillips and Susanna Gordon Windeyer. Julian M Phillips was christened on 2 February 1845 in St James, Sydney.
     Julian died before 1856?.

Julius Besnard Phillips

(19 July 1875 - 28 June 1919)
     Julius Besnard Phillips was born on 19 July 1875 in Leswell, Young, New South Wales. He was the son of Edward Augustus Phillips and Ellen Besnard.
Julius Besnard Phillips married Edith May Chew on 28 November 1900.
     Administration of the estate of Sarah Louise Phillips was granted to Julius Besnard Phillips, in May 1917 in New South Wales Probate Jurisdiction.- In the Estate of SARAH LOUISA PHILLIPS, late of Young, in the State of New South Wales Spinster, deceased, intestate. Application will be made after fourteen days from the publication hereof that Letters of Administration of the Estate of the abovenamed deceased may be granted to JULIUS BESNARD PHILLIPS, the brother of the said deceased, and all notices are to be served at the undermentioned address. JULIUS
BESNARD PHILLIPS, Lynch-street, Young.
He and Edith May Chew were divorced in November 1918 in Sydney, New South Wales. In the Sydney Divorce Court on Monday morning, Edith May Phillips (formerly Chew), a young woman, sought a dissolution of her marriage with Julius Bernard Phillips, commission agent, of Young, on the ground of his alleged
misconduct with one Millie Armfield, at the Hotel Sydney, Pitt-street, Sydney; at Cronulla, and other places. The parties were married at Monteagle on November 28, 1900. Petitioner said that last year she discovered her husband was going about with another woman, and when she taxed him with it he admitted that he had been paying attention to Miss Millie Armfield, but promised to give her up, and have no further communication with her. Upon the strength of that promise she forgave him, and returned to live with him. Very soon she discovered that her husband was still cor-
responding with Miss Armfield, and eventually He told her that he never had any intention of giving up the woman.
Cecil Cook, private inquiry agent, gave evidence that he had seen respondent meet Miss Armfield outside Farmer's, in Pitt-street, Sydney, where, witness said, she was employed in the corset department, and go with her to the
Hotel Sydney, where they were seen together in a room. Witness also saw them together at a cottage at Cronulla. This was in January last. Ernest Vane, private inquiry agent, said that in April last he was engaged to watch respondent and Miss Armfield. He saw the latter arrive at Circular Quay by the Cremorne boat at 9 a.m., and go to Rawson Place, where she met respondent. They went into the Prince of Wales Hotel, where they remained all day, only coming out for lunch. Witness saw them together at the same hotel on other occasions.
His Honor granted a decrea nisi, returnable in six months..
     Julius died on 28 June 1919 in Young, New South Wales, aged 43. MR. J. B. PHILLIPS. The third victim was a well-known resident of the district, Mr. Julius Besnard Phillips, a stock and station agent, and for some years a principal in the firm of A. H. Hume and Co. carrying on business at Young. Deceased, who was 43 years of age, was a member of one of the oldest families in the Young district, and, like the good sport that he was, on the football field and elsewhere, really gave his life for another. He was an uncle of the late Leslie Regan (who succumbed to pneumonic influenza Jjust a week previously), and deceased contracted the diseased when nursing his nephew on the night prior to Regan's admission to the hospital. Deceased was him
self admitted to the emergency hospital on Saturday, where he died yesterday morning. The funeral took place this afternoon to the Church of England cemetery.

The Cowra Free Press
also reported on 2 July 1919: Quite a gloom was cast over the town of Young on Thursday morning last (reports the "Chronicle"), when it was learned that Mr. Julius Besnard Phillips, the well-known stock and
station agent at Young, had succumb- ed to pneumonic influenza. Born at Kungiara Station, near Yass, 43 years
ago, the deceased came to Young with his parents when only a lad of 10 years and received his education at the District School. After leaving school he went into the stock and sta-tion agency business with Mr. T. Besnard, of Yass. Later on he joined the firm of G. Thompson and Co., of Cootamundra, and left that position and went with C. K. Rose and Co., of Cowra. After a while he returned to Young and was employed by Mr. C. H. Ellerman. Mr. Phillips then
became associated with the late Mr. Andrew Hume aa a partner in the firm of A. H. Hume and Co. After the latter's demise he took control himself, and was a very popular and energetic agent.

Kate Isobel Phillips

(circa 1852 - 30 July 1894)
     Kate Isobel Phillips was born circa 1852. She was the daughter of William Thomas Phillips and Mary Anne Lyons.
Kate Isobel Phillips married Frank Cowley on 17 August 1871 in the Presbyterian Manse, Brisbane, Queensland. Her marriage certificate stated that she was the daughter of William Phillips, gentleman, and born in Sydney. There was a correction in the margin, signed by Frank Cowley, stating that she was born at Bona Vista, Paterson River district.
Dell Cowley states that Frank Cowley apparently left Kate Isobel in the late 1880s.
     Kate died on 30 July 1894 in 3 Campabell St, St Leonards, New South Wales.

Children of Kate Isobel Phillips and Frank Cowley

Leila Maria Phillips

(9 July 1862 - 1884)
     Leila Maria Phillips was born on 9 July 1862 in Maitland, New South Wales. At Campbell's Hill, on the 9th July, Mrs. A. W. Phillips, of a daughter. She was the daughter of Alfred William Phillips and Elizabeth Maria Doyle. Leila Maria Phillips was christened on 13 August 1862 in West Maitland.
Leila Maria Phillips married Frederick Mullen Baker in 1882 in Raymond Terrace, New South Wales.
     Leila died in 1884 in Stroud, New South Wales.

Child of Leila Maria Phillips and Frederick Mullen Baker

Leila Maude Phillips

(2 April 1899 - )
     Leila Maude Phillips was born on 2 April 1899 in Queensland. She was the daughter of Frederick Louis Phillips and Elizabeth Josephine Bushe.

Louisa Phillips

( - 1 April 1807)
     Louisa Phillips married John Daniel Kane on 11 April 1796.
     Louisa died on 1 April 1807.

Children of Louisa Phillips and John Daniel Kane

Lydia Frances Phillips

(5 October 1830 - 29 October 1878)
Lydia Phillips (wife of R R S Bowker)
     The administration of her estate was granted To the next of kin of LYDIA PHILLIPS, late of Paterson River, in the colony of New South Wales,

Widow, deceased intestate as to her personal estate.

Greetings ?

WHEREAS It has been represented to us in our Supreme Court of New South Wales by the proctor of RICHARD RYTHER STEER BOWKER, of Newcastle, Doctor of Medicine, as attorney of LOUISA JANE SLOAN, Spinstor, a creditor of the said deceased, that the said LYDIA PHILLIPS departed this life on or about the twenty fourth day of November, in the year of Our Lord one

thousand eight hundred and sixty-four, intestate as to her personal estate: We do therofere peremptorily cito you and each of you to appear personally, or by your proctor duly constituted before our said Court, at the Court-house in King-street, Sydney, on or before the sixteenth day of June next, at the hour of 11 o'clock in theforonoon of the same day, then and there to accept or refuse Letters of administration of all and singular the goods and chattels of the said deceased, or to show cause, if you know any, why the same should not be committed to the said Richard Ryther Steer Bowker, as attorney of the said Louisa Jane Sloan, a creditor of tho said deceased.
Lydia Frances Phillips was born on 5 October 1830 in Paterson, New South Wales. She was the daughter of James Phillips and Lydia Ballard. Lydia Frances Phillips was christened on 23 November 1830 in Christ Church, Newcastle. Lydia Frances, daughter of James & Lydia Phillips of Middlehope, co. Durham, born October 5th.
Lydia Frances Phillips married Richard Ryther Steer Bowker, son of Thomas Dawson Bowker and Elizabeth Steer, on 11 November 1858 in St Paul's, Paterson. Their marriage settlement was registered in book 59, no.11. The Trustees were given power to purchase land. It was dated November 10 1858, the day before his marriage.
     Lydia Frances Phillips received a letter from Elizabeth Stanser Robinson dated 23 July 1864. The letter mentions Mrs Best (who is spitting blood and very weak) and Mrs Giles, Captain & Mrs Ingles who are to join the depot of the Regiment in Ireland in the Autumn, Isabel & Charley Bowker, both their mothers, Mr, Mrs & Miss Bingle.
Mrs Best & Mrs Giles send their love
Fir Grove,
West Town nr Bristol
July 23, 1864
My dear cousin,
I intended writing by the Southern post? Mail but waited for the last day as I thought it possible the mail might be in that day, but on the 18th I was so poorly I could not write. We have not received any letters this time, we hope nothing serious has occurred to prevent your writing. I daresay you were occupied with your mother if the floods have permitted her to pay her long promised visit. How glad you would be to see her.
We trust all the children are well. Has Isabel seen her little brother Charley yet? I suppose she has returned home long ago.
I have not any news to send you, so I am afraid you will find this a very stupid epistle. We have had an extraordinarily fine warm summer, the heat has been very great and fears were entertained that there would be a serious want of water; especially in Bristol but we have had rain two days which has done good. More is wished for but it is very fine again today. My dear Mother felt the heat rather weakening but she is pretty well considering all things, and a day or two ago she was induced to go and drink tea with a kind friend of ours, a lady of 84 years of age who lives at the other end of the village, and who is very brisk and lively. My mother had not done such a thing for several years. Our roses have been beautiful this year, but the hot weather scortched (sic) many of the flowers. Her last months accounts from Mrs. Best were not very good; she spits blood so frequently and--she is very weak: she has some hopes that Captain and Mrs. Ingles may join the depot of the Regt. in the Autumn; it is in Ireland. George McNair took cold as soon as he returned to Scotland; we have not heard very lately how he is. And I can only give the same account of Mrs. Giles & Eleanor.
We hope your mother has derived benefit from her visit to you, if she has been able to make it. I suppose baby has been christened; admitted into the Good Shepherd's visible fold; may He guide & guard him and all your little ones, and bring them to His heavenly fold at last[?]. How is Richard now? Not overworking himself I hope. The winter is generally the busiest time for his profession. Your little ones must now be very amusing and must occupy a great deal of your time. Remember us very kindly to Miss Bingle and hope she is well, and Mr. & Mrs. Bingle also. Have you read The Graver Thoughts of a Country Parson? It was sent to me a short time ago & we like it very much. In another style I like "The Chronicles of the Schornberg Cotta Family: we are acquainted with the Mother and some other relations of the Authoress. I suppose all our best books find their way to Australia.
The long talked of suspension bridge from St Vincents Rocks across the Avon, is nearly completed, I will send you a photograph of it if I can get one by the time the next mail leaves. It is a very pretty object. In construction it is very like our old neighbour the Menai Bridge but the scenery around it is very different. I hope you received my letter by the last mail; I was obliged to trust it to a gentleman to post it for me at Bristol as I could not get the paper stamps at our village Post Office. I am glad the intention of doubling the postage between England and Australia was abandoned, so many poor people have friends there that it would have been cruelly felt by many. We hope we shall hear from you next month and receive a good account of all. My dear mother joins me in best love to Richard, yourself and your dear children & with every good wish, believe me my dear cousin,
Ever your affectionate, Elizabeth S Robinson
     Lydia Frances Phillips received a letter from Elizabeth Stanser Robinson dated 18 August 1864. Fir Grove, West Town, nr Bristol
August 18th 1864
My dear Cousin [to Lydia Phillips (Bowker)]
I shall not wait for the arrival of the Australian Mail before I write to you as I want to send you a photograph of the Suspension Bridge at Clifton. It makes a pretty picture: a much prettier one than I should. It has been talked of for so many years and the unfinished piers have stood looking reproachfully at the neighbouring city for nearly a quarter of century so that almost everyone had imagined that they would have become curiosities of unparalleled interest, mysterious …. For Macauley's celebrated new ... to speculate upon, but the bridge is erected at last and is to be opened to the public in October. It is hunger for a bridge which is now ... to Clifton. I have walked over it, and so has Richard I dare say, but now instead of spanning the ... it crosses the ... Sir Greville Smith of Ashton Hall gave £11,000 to enlarge it; I suppose he calculates that it will benefit his property; the shade of the Nightingale Valley will give place to showy villas and become the retreat of Bristol citizens instead of nightingales.
We hope the next mail will bring us a letter from you, as we did not hear last month; and we hope also that it will bring us good things of you all. Your little group of children must be a pretty sight now; their grandmama I am sure would be delighted to see them all together. I hope she was able to pay you her promised visit.
My dear mother has been complaining a little lately of feeling languid and also mother's rheumatic: but on the whole it is as one could expect: she has been out to call on some of our neighbours and she would in the garden.
I have been very poorly at times but am now better. This week many people are feeling weak; we have had a beautiful summer it is said to be 17 years since we have had such a warm dry one but it has it's draw backs the want of water is greatly felt: the poor cattle are in great want of grass and water. Many sheep having died in the Mendip Hills, if you have studied ... and Wordsworth the names of the Mendip and Cotswold hills will be familiar to you. In Bristol people are stunted to the supplying of water for one hour a day. I hope we shall have rain soon; but the sunshine and moonlight
I and some friends went to Chilvey Court a short time ago; once it was a noble place and had been fortified in the times of the Civil War; now half of it is pulled down and the farmer's family live in another part; and part of it left for the convenience or hosts of rats; but the curved balustrades, its fine doorways spoke of departed, and we ascended a remarkably fine staircase; often no doubt trodden by Lords and Ladies and dashing cavaliers but in the darkness and dust our crinolines gave a faint and ghostlike … of the … of long ago. But you are all so fresh and hew in Australia and do know what it is to sit beneath ivy covered walls and dream over the scenes they may have witnessed in the days of your; your province is of another kind.
For fear that you should be tired with my romancing, I will say farewell, with my dear mother's and my best love to yourself Richard and the dear children, and hope we may all meet in the White City with the gates of pearl, where ruin and decay, sorrow and death can never enter
I remain
My dear cousin
Ever yours affectionately
Elizth S Robinson
. Lydia Frances Phillips was the informant at the death of Lydia Ballard, on 24 November 1864.
     Lydia Frances Phillips received a letter from Lydia Amelia Lucy Sloan dated after 1866?. An undated letter (presumably after 1866 to Lydia Phillips/Bowker) from Ravenfield, Sep 11 - My very dear Aunt, I must not let Dolly close her letter without adding a few lines to thank you for your kind present of oranges which we have been enjoying, even baby has had some the mandarins. They are so delightfully sweet. I am going to preserve the ... tomorrow but .. ... I have been very busy making mourning? for the little ones. Dolly will have told you of the death of poor Mrs Healy. It is so ... and has cast a gloom over us all. She was such a nice kind old lady. I am sure you must be enjoying this delightful spring weather at dear old Paterson. ... ... I sent you my (carte?) I have had it taken seven times & this is the best of them all no one likes. My dearest love to you and Fannie, I remain dear Aunt, yours affectionately Lydia. I am deeply grived at what you say about John. My advice would be to make Mrs G?..... know that what she states is true. ... thoughtless .. not ... & wants a different home & companion I wish I had him here. Do not let Fannie hear this please. L A R.
     Lydia Frances Phillips received a letter from Richard Ryther Steer Bowker dated 14 January 1870. Newcastle, Jan 14th 1870
My dear Lydia
I hope you have such an instalment? of rain as we have now. It is very small fine rain but our paddocks looked very thirsty. At any rate I hope it has finished the intense heat which was greater than I remember to have ever felt in Australia before. I hear that several deaths have happened suddenly in Maitland & have been attributed to sun stroke among them, Clarke the dancing master & old Goodall the surveyor. I hope Robert & Charles took no harm from their wetting in the water hole. With all his faults I feel very fond of Robert. Indeed, I may say fond and proud of all of them. Robert is in many respects a fine and noble boy and my little Betha and her lemonade and anxiety to prepare it for me pleases me more and more. Isabella is not so demonstrative but still we have reason to be proud of them all and thankful to have such a fine set of children. You can scarcely tell how grateful and delighted I felt at your kind attentions as well as those of the children for I am not very demonstrative myself and yet it is my destiny to be gloomy and morose at times and I shall never be able to prevent it perhaps I make it up in the intensity of the affection and admiration which have for you and my great love which I feel (if I do not much express) for our children. I send some powders for little Richard to be taken night and morning until better.
I have just had a visit form Mrs Julia Walker, her husband & two children. Mr Walker seems a nice kind of person and the children are fine and strong. The boy 7 years of age as big as Robert or nearly so.
I had thought Mr Walker a rougher & worse bargain than he is. I think Mrs Walker has great reason to congratulate herself as to her husband.
Mr Peel had not been out on horseback, he complained that he had worn out ever so many pairs of trousers while riding. He is a curious mixture & I shall feel much more comfortable when Mr Hector is here instead of him. I notice the filly as you said very large. I hope she is not in foal when Isabella is old enough, she will carry her like the wind.
Yours very affectionately
R R S Bowker
     Lydia Frances Phillips in Darling Point sent a letter dated between 30 June 1876 and 1878? To Elizabeth Steer Bowker. Avoca, June 30 - My dear Betha, I was glad to get your letter and hope by this your cold is much better. Your papa heard at Newcastle what a rough passage you had. You did not tell me how our old friends at Newcastle were or who took you to the convent school. I knew you would be shocked to see poor old Bona Vista, but it was even worse when I saw it during the dry weather. I forgot to give you the keys so that you may unpack the drawers in the wardrobe that I may have them sent down to Avoca. I am in a hurry to post this before 2 o'clock. Mr Hungerford was here this morning, he had a very bad cold, caught he thinks coming from Newcastle. Mrs H and the girls are not coming home until next week. Mrs Plunkett was here yesterday and exclaimed at baby's size, declares he is as big as her baby now. Mr Millard also called. He found Fanny in bed at Mr Windeyers with severe cold. He is coming to tea this evening. I thought he looked bery pale. Isabel went to see Fanny on Wednesday and she then had a cold and Issie said was very low spitited. As I have now a spare room I must ask her out for a few days. Mrs Bennet went back to Newcastle last night. We missed you & Lydia and the house seems empty. I have a nice girl as nurse, one who would like to be home & parlor maid and I thought Osmund's younger girl might do as nurse, but they won't come over, although the other children try to impose upon Emily the new nurse. Edward ran off just before dinner when she called him to dress and I had to whip him. They send him for bread & ... for them and all sorts of tricks. I must stop my scribble with much love to your young companions and Lydia & self. Hoping you are tidy, useful girls, Believe me, dear Betha, Your affectionate mother, L F Bowker. Do you play croquet? Your letter is not carefully written. If you come by N.C. try and get a cutting of the red rose, it belonged once to your grandmama Bowker & was given to me by Miss Bingle..
     Lydia Frances Phillips received a letter from Richard Ryther Steer Bowker dated 25 July 1877.
     Lydia Frances Phillips in 'Avoca', Darling Point, New South Wales, sent a letter dated 30 June 1878 to Elizabeth Steer Bowker. My dear Betha
I looked for your letter yesterday morning and your Papa was also surprised to hear how you had got up - it blew so hard after you left. I often thought of you all - tho Robert said it was a fair wind. You did not tell us if you were sick or how Edward's cold was or your throat. I fancy Harold legs must have ached the day after he arrived. Did he walk all the way? to be continued.
     Lydia Frances Phillips in Darling Point sent a letter dated 12 July 1878 to Elizabeth Steer Bowker. 1878 July 12, Avoca - My dear Betha, I got Miss Wood to write to you last Wednesday as I was so busy - I went to the Chester ball, very low spirited and not feeling as if I should enjoy myself but I did more than I expected. Their decorations were very pretty - lots of pot plants in different places around the fountain. It was very lovely & the fountain was playing. The sides were all carpeted to walk on. The sides of the building were all enclosed for dressing rooms. Drawing room, card room and one side was for the supper. Two long tables & 2 across the end & another refreshment room had hot tea and coffee and ices going all the evening. Isabel looked very well and danced every dance. She wore white silk with white tarlatan over and silver flowers - pearls on her neck and arms, silver ferns in her hair and one white camellia. Mrs White's dress was the handsomest in the room, blue and silver worked into the silk. They say it cost £60. There were many blue and white dresses. They are Chester colours. I am sure you will be grieved to hear of Rosie Darley's death. I got a telegram from Mrs D on Tuesday saying Rosie died last night and thought she had made a mistake in the name - that it must be Tarsie?? Rose Scott was with her and wrote me full particulars. She was prepared to die and said goodbye, sending loving messages to all her friends & asking Dr King to do all he could to cure her sister, not to tell her she was gone for fear it would make her worse. I never had a greater shock. I was so fond of Rosie as everyone is. Poor Mrs Close, it is terrible for her and Mrs Darley. Your papa has had Charlie to come back in time for school on Monday - if it is fine tomorrow and you get this in time, come tomorrow afternoon and go up to Mrs Hudsons for tea. If the weather is not fair tomorrow to come on Monday afternoon, send what clothes are dirty by him and I can have them ready on Tuesday and take them bakck with me on Wednesday. I hope to get away on Wednesday night and go up to breakfast with Mrs Hudson so that Osmond needs to start his hi... to meet the mid day train and no Maud? says - Affie is still here, also Walter and he was going last night, but Affie made such a fuss about it. He is sorry now he waited as it is raining heavily. My love to all, hoping you are feeling well, believe me ever your affectionate mother, Lydia F Bowker..
     Lydia Frances Phillips in Darling Point sent a letter dated 16 July 1878? To Elizabeth Steer Bowker. Avoca, July 16: My dear Betha, Charles arrived about half past seven o'clock this morning bringing his knapsack upon his shoulders - he had a good passage. I am sorry to hear you have a sore throat and hope it is better. If it should get very bade send a telegram tomorrow so that I may bring up medicines as it is I have asked your papa for a gargle. D V. I hope to get off tomorrow night and go on by the mid day train on Thursday. Affie, Ada & Walter left last night. I think Affie better though he can't swallow solid food yet. Your papa will see about a cask? and sasy Osmund had better buy if he thinks it sound enough as your papa likes old hay better than new, if it is quite sound and not musty - to buy what he thinks will be sufficient. I have plenty to do this morning so will say goodbye feeling thankful you escaped so easily your fall the other day. It is a warning to you to take more care. I made a pillow cast yesterday after sending your letter and must have them washed this morning. Give Lydia my love and thanks for her nice long letter. My love to you all, Your affectionate Mother L F Bowker, Tell Harold we all liked to read his first letter. You say the bullock weighed 7lbs and a half and the hay is 3 sh. a ton. You mean 7 cwt and a half and £3 a ton..
     Lydia died of typhoid fever on 29 October 1878 in Darling Point, New South Wales, aged 48. Her husband wrote in his diary My beloved Lydia leaves me - dies. She first had the mumps which she got from Ada Phillips at Bona Vista, then Erysipelas of the leg. Then overworked herself, got typhoid complicated with perforation and children all had mumps. She was buried on 30 October 1878 in St Paul's churchyard, Paterson. The body of Mrs R Bowker conveyed to Newcastle from Sydney per steamer to Maitland. Dr Bowker, his two sons, Messrs Dangar, Lewis and the Rev Hungerford accompanied the body which was afterwards taken to Morpeth in the steamer. Messrs C F Stokes, P Flemming, R Flemming, J Creer, T Brooks and J Hill of this city went to Morpeth, whence the body was taken by hearse to East Maitland and then onto Paterson via Pitnacree. Several residents of the district joined in the procession at Morpeth as did also R B Wallace and John Wood of this city. During yesterday flags were displayed at half mast by most of the vessels in the port, etc.

Children of Lydia Frances Phillips and Richard Ryther Steer Bowker

Lydia Frances Phillips

(circa 1848 - 25 July 1925)
     Lydia Frances Phillips was also known as Lydia Frances Helen in records. She was born circa 1848. She was the daughter of William Thomas Phillips and Mary Anne Lyons. Lydia Frances Phillips was christened in 1853 in St James RC church, Sydney, New South Wales. She was baptised with her sister Mary and their parents were given as William Phillips & Mary Ann Lyons, abode Paterson.
Lydia Frances Phillips married Edward Richard Neynoe Gore Jones on 13 May 1873 in Church of England, Brisbane South, Queensland. Her father was listed as William Thomas Phillips, squatter, and she was born at Paterson, co. Durham, NSW.
See for more on this family.
     Lydia died on 25 July 1925 in Wooloowin, Queensland. GORE-JONES-Lydia Frances, wife of E R Gore-Jones, at her residence, Kedron- street, Wooloowin, on July 25. Privately interred at Nunda.

Children of Lydia Frances Phillips and Edward Richard Neynoe Gore Jones